Editorial: Room for improvement

With the recent announcements of The Vault and The Supper Club closing in the summer, Auburn seems to have become a bar graveyard.

Auburn doesn’t have the largest night scene, with arguably only three relevant bars that serve much of the downtown crowd.

In short, Auburn’s bar scene has room for improvement.

There are no immediate glaring issues with downtown.

However, with both closings there is an opportunity to cater to more diverse crowds.

SkyBar, Quixotes and 17-16 have found a successful niche in Auburn and regularly draw large crowds, but their business models and success cannot necessarily be copied.

While the closings weren’t directly correlated to patronage — raised rent prices were listed in each closing — the bars could have definitely done more to draw larger crowds.

A greater variety of bands would help a revival.

Auburn’s band choice seems to be cyclic, with the same performers coming regularly and performing the same songs.

New performers and larger headlining bands could draw more crowds and create bigger hype.

However, The Supper Club and The Vault bars also have some systems the establishments that will replace them and current Auburn bars can learn from.

The Supper Club has a bus that will take you from their bar to your house or apartment.

Not only is this safer, cutting down on DUI’s and going directly to your home rather than to assorted stops along predetermined routes, it’s also a bonus that could attract groups who have no set designated driver.

The Vault has Taco Tuesdays with dollar tacos.

Not only do they cater to a college budget, but the greasy treat can attract people trying to line their stomachs before indulging in beverages.

The Vault’s back patio, which is often quiet or has soft light music, allows for conversation unlike the loud bass pumping found in other bars around Auburn.

Whichever bar replaces them should continue the relaxed atmosphere.

Auburn needs a bar they can go to that doesn’t constantly barrage people with music.

While loud music and dancing are what draw crowds to other bars in Auburn, having a quieter option is necessary.

The closings of The Vault and The Supper Club is sad, but it is also a chance for growth.

Auburn has room for more than three successful bars and one basic business model. It’s time for more diversity downtown. 

Share and discuss “Editorial: Room for improvement” on social media.