LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Bobby Woodard responds to student media restructuring

In response to “Without Warning: Student media restructuring” on April 1, 2015

Within Student Affairs, students are our first and only priority. As a result of a study done four years ago, Auburn student media is being reorganized to place them on sound financial footing, adapt to today’s digital media landscape and help provide the best experience for students. Your recent coverage, however, mischaracterized both the reason and impact behind these changes.

Certain non-student administrative and advising positions are changing for The Auburn Plainsman, “The Glomerata,” “The Auburn Circle,” WEGL and Eagle Eye TV. No other reorganizing is occurring. This new staff structure, creating convergence across student media, is better positioned to support each of these platforms as they work for the benefit of Auburn students.

The new organizational structure will create five full-time positions to support the evolving needs of our student media. These positions will have no control over editorial content and will be protectors of our students’ first amendment rights. Each will report to the manager of communications and marketing for the Division of Student Affairs, and our students will be instrumental in choosing the right candidates to fill these positions.

While some positions have changed, what has not changed is student media editorial independence and the value we place on the important work they do to create first-class media products for the Auburn community. We are looking forward to working with our students in this endeavor and further showcasing their outstanding work.

Bobby R. Woodard, Ph.D.

Associate Provost and Vice President for Student Affairs

Share and discuss “LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Bobby Woodard responds to student media restructuring” on social media.