​Position battles wage on as spring practice continues

<p style="margin-left:20px;">Offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee watches as players go through drills at the University of California Irvine on Friday Jan. 3. (FILE PHOTO)</p>

Offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee watches as players go through drills at the University of California Irvine on Friday Jan. 3. (FILE PHOTO)

Nobody on Auburn’s offense has been named a starter yet, at least according to offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee.

The most high profile position race is undoubtedly at quarterback, where Jeremy Johnson is expected to take the reins, but Lashlee said that the coaching staff still isn’t ready to name the official starter.

“Jeremy and Sean (White) have been solid,” Lashlee said. “They haven’t made a lot of mistakes, they know the offense and they’re doing what they’re supposed to do. I just want, in the last six practices, those guys to both take the next step and go from just being steady to being to being great.”

Keeping it in the backfield, Lashlee said the three-horse race for running back is still going strong.

“You can’t base it all of one scrimmage, but you start to see more separation,” Lashlee said. “I think all three of them did some things well, and did some things not so well.”

Lashlee added that throughout the offense, there are multiple players batting for a starting spot.

“No one has earned a spot yet,” Lashlee said. “We compete. It doesn’t matter if it’s leaning one way or the other, you keep competing. You want to know as a coach how a guy’s responding.”

Share and discuss “​Position battles wage on as spring practice continues” on social media.