Department of Public Safety to hold Citizens’ Public Safety Academy

Auburn’s Department of Public Safety will offer participants in this year’s Citizens’ Public Safety Academy the rare opportunity to gain an inside look at how each division keeps Auburn safe.

The academy will begin May 14 and participants will meet on Thursday nights from 6:30-9 p.m., with two Saturday sessions that will be more involved. There will be a graduation session July 2.

“After a few years of only providing information about police services, the public safety director realized that the citizens were missing the opportunity to learn about the other divisions within the Public Safety Department,” said Capt. Will Mathews of the Auburn Police Division.

Since it began more than 10 years ago, the academy has sought to educate interested citizens on the daily work of employees in the many divisions of Auburn’s Department of Public Safety, including police, fire, emergency communications operators and several others. The academy gives participants the chance to speak directly with employees and learn more about their community.

“Attendees will be exposed to behind the scenes work that the average citizen doesn’t realize,” Mathews said.

In addition to gaining a basic understanding of how public safety operates, Mathews said participants will have the chance to learn first-hand CPR, firearms familiarity and 911 operations. The academy will also teach participants how detectives analyze crime scenes, and how rescue teams extract victims from crashed vehicles.

“It helps the citizens connect with our government,” said Bill James, public safety director. “This gives them an opportunity to come in and talk one-on-one with a city government employee.”

James said the academy also helps build relationships between Auburn citizens and the city government, and participants in years past have been able to keep in contact with employees they have met whenever they have questions.

Some of the more hands-on activities such the trip to the firing range with Auburn police have always been popular with participants, according to James. He also said participants enjoy riding with the fire department.

Mathews said that participants are asked to give feedback at the end of each academy, which helps the Department of Public Safety understand what citizens like, and what they want to be emphasized more. James said he hopes participants will teach other citizens they know about what they have learned.

“At the end of the program, we hope that the participants have a better understanding of the type work that is accomplished daily, as well as the planning that goes into preparing for critical incidents that could occur in our community,” Mathews said.

Share and discuss “Department of Public Safety to hold Citizens’ Public Safety Academy” on social media.