Lighting improvements made to the construction area downtown

The construction downtown this summer poses complications such as the intersection of College Street and Magnolia Avenue being closed. But since the construction started, the concern of darkness in the construction area has surfaced.

Melissa Humble, of Auburn University Photographic Services has recently vocalized her concerns in a letter to the editor.

Humble also sent letters to others around Auburn, and she said everyone she has voiced her concerns with has responded.

“Visibility is almost zero because of the construction fence and privacy mesh," Humble said. "The dark green/black mesh blocks light, but also absorbs light that might be reflected otherwise, making the walkways even darker. With the loss of visibility, one literally doesn’t know what’s around the corner of those fences when navigating the area.”

Since Humble has a photographic background, she focuses on light. When she had been downtown she could tell the side of College Street with The Bank Vault felt like a tunnel, and the other side of the fence could not be seen.

The other side of the street was not as bad because the fence is not directly by the sidewalk and the businesses have better light.

The City had heard similar concerns, and began putting a plan in place to make downtown feel safer before Humble even sent in a complaint.

Jeff Ramsey, director of public works for the City of Auburn, said the concern of lighting downtown was brought up at the monthly meeting with the merchants of downtown.

Ramsey said the lighting had been decreased because the streetlights had to be removed for the construction.

There are now lights on the top of the fence. The lights also help people see the sandbags on the ground. The sandbags are there to hold the fence in place.

According to Ramsey the lights were added Wednesday, June 10.

“There’s a lot of lights already down there” Ramsey said. 

He said that they probably will not be adding more lights but they have extra if needed.

Humble said she is excited that the lights have been added.

“We certainly hope that the lighting makes people comfortable going downtown,” said David Dorton, director of public affairs for the City of Auburn.

Share and discuss “Lighting improvements made to the construction area downtown” on social media.