Auburn student lands dream internship with Lilly Pulitzer

Many girls spend summer months covered in Lilly Pulitzer designs, but Courtney Kennedy, junior in public relations, will be surrounded by Lilly.

Kennedy landed an internship with the company, a “dream come true” for her.

“It was always the internship I wanted,” Kennedy said.

Kennedy is a creative communications intern, and works with social media as part of her duties. 

She also works with bloggers. She said she has learned a lot about analytics and fashion.

“How social media is used to promote a brand,” Kennedy said.

Kennedy said one of her favorite parts so far was when she was chosen to attend a fashion presentation in New York City. 

She said models were wearing pieces from the resort line.

“[It was] very glamorous,” Kennedy said. “Everyone was dressed up, drinking champagne.”

Kennedy said this internship is helping her realize she is pursuing a career in the right field for her.

“It has taught me a lot more than I can just learn in a classroom,” Kennedy said.

Kennedy applied for the internship in January, and found out in March.

“I got up, [and was] running around my apartment, screaming,” Kennedy said.

Morgan Wood, junior in undeclared science and math and Kennedy’s close friend, has been with her every step of the way.

“We literally would stay up all night and come up with these different ideas,” Wood said. “So I kind of felt like I was there for her.”

Wood said she is happy to see Kennedy achieve her goal of interning with Lilly Pulitzer.

“I’m really happy for her because she worked so hard for it,” Wood said.

Wood said Kennedy’s personality is perfect for an internship at a place such as Lilly Pulitzer.

“She gets really excited about things, like she’s very hyper all the time,” Wood said. “She would get an idea and just start bouncing off the walls because she’s so excited about it.”

Wood said Kennedy has been a fan of Lilly Pulitzer for as long as they have known each other.

“I don’t think she ever wanted anything else besides Lilly,” Wood said.

Jess Wulkan, who was assistant store manager when Kennedy worked at her local Lilly Pulitzer store, said Kennedy has loved Lilly for a long time.

“People grow up loving Lilly, and I think Courtney is one of those girls,” Wulkan said.

Wulkan said she could see Kennedy’s dedication to Lilly early on.

“She has true love for the brand,” Wulkan said. 

She said Kennedy also wanted to work for Lilly Pulitzer’s corporate office.

“Even early on in high school, you could see that she wanted to be s bigger part of the picture,” Wulkan said.

Wood said she sees Kennedy developing a love for her internship and her surroundings there.

“Every time I talk to her, she’s like, ‘I love Philly,’” Wood said. “And she’s like, ‘I want to live here, and work for Lilly,’ and so, I guess I’m kind of just seeing her grow up and make a big part of her life through this internship.”

Wood said Kennedy’s life is more “on-the-go” with her internship. 

She said they text almost every day. 

“I’m always like, ‘What kind of elaborate thing did you do today?’” Wood said.

Kennedy said she has enjoyed her time at Lilly Pulitzer.

“It’s been amazing,” Kennedy said. “They don’t treat me like an intern at all. It’s not like ‘The Devil Wears Prada.’”

Share and discuss “Auburn student lands dream internship with Lilly Pulitzer” on social media.