Guard and center positions still up for grabs

With approximately two weeks left until kickoff between Auburn and Louisville, the Tigers' coaching staff is still deliberating on starters at several offensive line positions.

Sophomore Austin Golson and senior Xavier Dampeer are battling at center, a position key to any offense, but especially coach Gus Malzahn’s up-tempo spread attack.

”Our center, like I’ve said before, is just as important as our quarterback in our system because he [identifies] things,” Malzahn said. “It really starts with him. The snap’s got to be a good snap to operate our timing passing game, our read-type runs.”

Malzahn is comfortable with both centers and views the competition as a positive aspect of fall camp.

“We’ve got two guys we feel good about,” Malzahn said. “I’m really looking at it as a positive compared to other years. Xavier had a very good spring and he’s had a good fall camp. Both those guys are very solid guys and so that makes you feel very good going into the season.”

There is also a tight competition at left guard, as junior Alex Kozan is battling senior Devonte Danzey for the starting job.

“They’re both still getting equal reps,” Malzahn said. “As we get closer, probably a week out, hopefully we’ll have some more answers. … The good thing is, we’ve got two guys at that position that have started numerous games. It will be whoever the best is.”

Kozan was on the Freshman All-SEC team in 2013, but he sat out all of last 2014 with a back injury. Danzey stepped up as Kozan’s replacement and is making the former starter work to regain his spot.

“Alex Kozan, he’s a great player,” said Avery Young, Auburn’s starting right tackle. “He came from a lot with the injury situation he had, but it’s football. There’s nothing handed to you, regardless of who you are.”

Malzahn said the competitions across the offensive line are a good sign as the Tigers head into the season.

“You can’t have enough depth on the offensive line,” Malzahn said. “I’d say, and I think I’ve said this before, I think we probably have as much depth, maybe more, than the five previous seasons I’ve been here. At least going into the season, we’re in a good spot.”

Despite the competitions, Young said the offensive line is united by its common goal of winning a championship.

“Everybody has that edge right now,” Young said. “Everybody got a fire under them to make sure everything is perfect. … Everybody understands what it takes now. There’s a lot of people that’s been in big games here on this team and we all know what it takes.”

Share and discuss “Guard and center positions still up for grabs” on social media.