Barber and Thomas emerging in running back competition

Two running backs are beginning to separate themselves from the pack in the battle for the starting running back position.

Sophomores Roc Thomas and Peyton Barber have been impressive in fall camp, according to running backs coach Tim Horton.

“[Thomas and Barber] have earned the right to play,” Horton said on Friday, Aug. 14. “How much one is going to play and the other, that still remains to be seen. But I really like what Peyton and Roc are doing.”

Earlier in fall camp, coach Gus Malzahn said all four candidates at running back were being given equal reps.

“We’re hoping somebody will really raise up, especially in the scrimmages when they're getting tackled,” Malzahn said.

Auburn scrimmaged on Monday, Aug. 10, and will scrimmage again on Saturday, Aug. 15.

Horton had high praise for freshman Kerryon Johnson despite the fact that Johnson has been “a little bit banged up,” according to Malzahn.

“I'm really impressed with KJ’s maturity,” Horton said. “I don't know that we've got a player on our offense that is as honed in and focused.”

The fourth man in the competition, Jovon Robinson, got off to a slow start in camp but has improved.

“There's a standard that we expect, on the field and off,” Horton said. “Early in camp, Jovon didn't perform to that standard. When you don't, there's ramifications. Somebody moves up the depth chart … We’re real pleased with how he's done the last two or three days, but he didn't get off to a real good start.”

While Thomas and Barber will likely get most of the carries, Horton expects all four to see the field when Auburn opens its season against Louisville in the Georgia Dome on Sept. 5.

“I would be surprised if all four don't get snaps in Atlanta,” Horton said. “Right now I'd have to say Peyton and Roc are the two that will get the most reps.”

Regardless of who wins the starting job, Malzahn is comfortable having multiple backs that can run the offense.

“We've got guys we feel good about,” Malzahn said. “I think that's the best thing. You can never have enough running back depth.”

Share and discuss “Barber and Thomas emerging in running back competition” on social media.