Coaches update status of injuries entering LSU game

Freshman defensive end Carl Lawson rushes Ole Miss quarterback Bo Wallace on Saturday, Oct. 5.

Auburn and LSU have played plenty of physical games over the course of their rivalry, but several Auburn players are injured even before going to Death Valley for its first SEC game of the season.

In his weekly meeting with the media on Sunday, defensive coordinator Will Muschamp addressed the status of several injured Auburn defenders.

Buck Carl Lawson (hip) and safety Tray Matthews (shoulder), both of whom were injured in Auburn’s 31-24 win against Louisville to open the season, should be ready to play in Saturday’s game against LSU, according to Muschamp.

Strongside linebacker Justin Garrett, who strained his quad in last week’s win over Jacksonville State, is also expected to play.

“Game time decisions on all those guys,” Muschamp said. “All those guys took part in parts of practice last week. We’re expecting all of them to be able to go this week.”

When asked at his press conference on Tuesday, coach Gus Malzahn refused to give specific details about the players’ injuries.

“Everybody’s day-to-day,” Malzahn said. “At this point I’m not ready to say anything regarding any of them.”

The prognosis for Nickel Joshua Holsey was confirmed, however, and it wasn’t positive.

Holsey sustained a torn ACL in his left knee in the win over Jacksonville State, the same injury he suffered in 2013. Holsey will miss the remainder of the season.

“It’s tough on him,” Malzahn said. “He’s one of our team leaders, too. I know a lot of his teammates are hurting for him.”

With several veterans at less than full strength, Auburn relied on young players to make plays in its win over Jacksonville State.

If the injured players are unable to play in Baton Rouge on Saturday, freshman talent such as Byron Cowart, Tim Irvin, Carlton Davis, Jeremiah Dinson and Jeff Holland will once again be expected to play significant snaps in the Tigers’ first conference game.

“You have to be prepared when the team calls on you,” Malzahn said. “We are counting on some young guys. The positive with that is you have a chance to grow and get better. We just need some young guys to step up and grow up pretty quick.”

Share and discuss “Coaches update status of injuries entering LSU game” on social media.