Auburn UPC hosts Painting on the Plains in Eagle's Nest

The Auburn University Program Council hosted Painting on the Plains in the Haley Center's Eagle's Nest Tuesday, Oct. 13 from 5:30-8:30 p.m.

Painters looked at Jordan-Hare stadium while they recreated an image of Toomer’s Corner. Additionally, refreshments such as cookies and "mocktails" were provided.

Hannah Harris, freshman in organismal biology, led painters in a semi-paint-by-number piece. She said she started teaching similar painting classes when she was a sophomore in high school.

“I’ve taught up to 90 people at a time,” Harris said. “It’s typically adults that like to drink wine."

She also said the class she taught for Painting on the Plains was relaxed.

“The idea is you don’t have to have experience at all," Harris said. "You just come in and have fun.”

Harris gave students basic instructions for stroke placement and mixing colors and was able to help the painters if they messed up.

Tristan Watson, sophomore in business and assistant director of technical productions for UPC, said he was excited when he and his fellow council members heard about the event.

“It was first come, first serve, so naturally we jumped on it,” Watson said.

Watson said he plans to give his painting to his mother as a Christmas present.

"Because who doesn’t love a painting of Toomer’s?” Watson said.

Rachel Sterchi, assistant director of fine arts for UPC, said she helped organize the event.

“This event was for students to test out painting,” Sterchi said.

She said students should sign up for workshops in the student involvement suite on the third floor of the Student Center in Suite 3130.

Signups are held two weeks prior to an event.

Other workshops held this semester include a wood burning workshop Wednesday, Oct. 21 and a wreath-making class Wednesday, Nov. 18. Information can be found on the Auburn UPC Facebook page.

Share and discuss “Auburn UPC hosts Painting on the Plains in Eagle's Nest ” on social media.