Makeup artists, hair stylists give advice on best products to use

shorter version

Drugstore makeup and hair products usually fill most college students’ shopping carts. However, learning the right products to use on your skin and hair can help create a better and healthier look.

Jacquelyn Hale, salon manager and beauty consultant at Ulta Beauty, said the first step is cleansing and moisturizing the face. .

One thing people might not think about when it comes to makeup is eyebrows.

Hale said Smashbox’s eyebrow pencils have a double end with a pencil on one end and a spoolie, the brush used to fill the pencil lines, on the other.

Hale also said her favorite eyeshadows are in Naked palates by Urban Decay.

“I would say if you’re going out and you want to glam out, Naked 4,” Hale said. “If you want just fresh, everyday, kicking it, then I would go with the Naked 1. All of them are really, really great.”

A quick tip to makeup application is blending, which can be done using a good brush, according to Hale.

“For every type of brush, it serves a purpose,” Hale said. “Use it for that purpose, and don’t just stop, be creative with it. You’ll be surprised at what you come up with.”

Hale said her favorite is Tarte’s bronzing and contouring brush, but also said the angled eyeliner brush, which allows for easy application, is a good one to use as well.

Hale said to keep lashes healthy, good mascara should have Vitamin E. She said cheap mascara dries out the eyelashes.

“If you don’t do anything else, you can pop some mascara on, a little gloss and you’re good to go,” Hale said.

She said one of her favorite mascaras is They’re Real by Benefit, because the formula hugs the lash.

In addition to skin hair also needs to be healthy. Hairmasters hair stylist Erica Plott said shampoos and conditioners bought at drugstores are harsh on hair frizzing it and building up wax on the strands.

Plott recommends getting a hair cut every two months to keep hair healthy, because the hair splits.

“That’s probably No. 1, outside of keeping [hair] clean and moisturized,” Plott said. “You really want to use a good shampoo, not just any shampoo.”

For dry hair, Plott said the Regis Designline Olive Oil Shampoo moisturizes the scalp.

Plott also said the Regis Designline Texture Balance Shampoo helps with oily hair.

Victoria De Los Rios, a makeup artist based in north New Jersey, owns My Makeup Artist Victoria, which specializes in bridal makeup.

Some of Rios’ favorite foundations are Revlon ColorStay, Revlon PhotoReady and Loreal Paris’ new Magic Skin Beautifier BB Cream.

Rios said her passion for makeup comes from clients feeling beautiful at the end of the makeover.

“Well, I speak for all women, I think feeling beautiful is something that we all want,” Rios said.

Share and discuss “Makeup artists, hair stylists give advice on best products to use ” on social media.