'Frame by Frame', a documentary about photojournalism in Afghanistan, set to screen

‘Frame by Frame’, a documentary following the photography revolution in Afghanistan through the eyes and lens of 4 Afghan photojournalist as they work to reframe Afghanistan for themselves and the rest of the world, will be screened at the Jule Collin

"Frame by Frame," a documentary following the photography revolution in Afghanistan through the eyes and lenses of four Afghan photojournalists, will be screened at the Jule Collins Smith Museum of Fine Art on Thurs. Nov. 5 as part of the museum’s film series. 

In the film the Afghan photographers work to reframe Afghanistan for themselves and the rest of the world.

Scott Bishop, curator of education and university liaison at the Jule Collins Smith Museum, said the film was selected for the series because of it's interesting topic and evocative nature.

“It stood out as an exceptional film, and it’s an interesting topic," Bishop said. "This idea of sort of for the first time being able to photograph and to do journalism in Afghanistan … I know one of the things about it is that it is visually very stunning. And there are some parts of it that are very hard to watch especially about women."

The documentary has received numerous awards and positive reviews from critics.

"'Frame by Frame' is a bracing tribute to the power of photojournalism," The Hollywood Reporter said. "The filmmakers are attuned to the workday camaraderie and competitive spirit that drive their thoughtful subjects. And like the four photojournalists, they have an eye for beauty as well as a nose for news, capturing scenes of unexpected lightness: an open-air pop concert, a paddleboat ride on a glass-smooth lake. 'Frame by Frame' is a work of profound immediacy, in sync with the photographers’ commitment and hope.”

The screening is from 5 p.m-6:30 p.m. with a question-and-answer session with Alexandria Bombach, co-director, following the film.

Bishop said the opportunity to have a conversation with the director after the film screening is invaluable for students.

“I feel like whenever I can engage students with any kind of speaker or filmmaker it enhances the experience both for the student and for the person who comes in,” Bishop said.

Tickets are free and can be reserved here.

Bishop also encourages people to stick around and enjoy the festivities the museum offers Thursday nights.

“We have programs almost every Thursday night, but also from 5-8 there is a band that plays here, an ensemble and the cafe is open, the galleries are open, the shops are open,” Bishop said. “It’s a good free date.”

The film trailer and more information on the documentary can be found here

Share and discuss “'Frame by Frame', a documentary about photojournalism in Afghanistan, set to screen” on social media.