Seeing police lights flash in your rearview mirror is never a fun feeling. Whether it's speeding, no turn signal or not having your seatbelt on, most people don't like the heart-sinking moment when they might have broken a law.
However, there are some Alabama state laws many would not even know they were breaking.
1. It is illegal to maim oneself to escape duty or for charitable relief, according to Section 13A-14-1.
2. According to Section 13A-14-4, it is illegal to impersonate a person of the clergy.
3. It is illegal for a driver to be blindfolded while operating a vehicle, according to Section 32-5A-53.
4. According to Section 9.08.010, no person may spit on the floor of a church in the City of Auburn.
5. In Mobile, "spray string" is prohibited according to Section 39-15.
6. According to Section 30-4-1, women are able to retain all property they owned prior to marriage in the case of divorce. However, this provision does not apply to men.
7. Incestuous marriages are legal, according to Section 30-1-3.
8. According to Section 13A-12-5, bear wrestling matches are prohibited.
9. It is illegal to spit orange peels on the sidewalk in Mobile, according to Section 39-76.
10. In Mobile it is also illegal to possess confetti, according to Section 39-77.
11. Dominoes must not be played on Sunday, according to Section 13A-12-1.
12. According to Section 39-112, women may not wear "lewd," or indecent dress in public in Mobile.
Do you like this story? The Plainsman doesn't accept money from tuition or student fees, and we don't charge a subscription fee. But you can donate to support The Plainsman.