OPINION: Farewell to my Plainsman family

Last semester, my art photography professor sat me down and asked, “What does Emily want to do?” knowing that graduation would soon be approaching for me.

The past two and a half years, my life has revolved around The Plainsman. I can’t express how much stress and exhaustion this paper has caused, but I enjoyed every bit of it and would do it all over again if I could.

Being a part of an organization like this has given me a unique college experience allowing me to witness both horrible and wonderful things.

There have been nights I’d get home from a long day of class and work, get settled into bed and then immediately have to jump out of bed to go cover breaking news.

I’ve skipped classes and traveled what seemed like endless miles to cover events such as the 50th anniversary of Bloody Sunday, the Lutzie Field Dedication, Auburn Pro Day, the 2015 Outback Bowl and more.

But most importantly, it has allowed me to be a part of a passionate and hardworking team.

Nothing brings people together more than working late nights in a windowless office while sipping on a third pot of coffee.

The Plainsman has taught me a lot and has drastically shaped me not only as a photographer, but as a photojournalist. For that, I couldn’t be more grateful.

As an art student, I was a complete outsider to the world of journalism. I am fortunate to have found such a wonderful environment to expand my skills and to develop a passion for photojournalism.

So, what does Emily want to do?

There isn’t anything else I’d rather do.

I’d like to thank The Plainsman staff for being my support group, my teachers and my family as well as getting me hooked on journalism. I am proud to graduate knowing that The Plainsman will be left in good hands and will continue being a spirit that is not afraid.

I will truly miss you all.

Share and discuss “OPINION: Farewell to my Plainsman family” on social media.