Unlocking one phone could unlock us all

In light of the current legal proceedings between the FBI and Apple Inc., privacy in the digital era has become a hot topic. 

In February, the FBI issued a court order demanding Apple write code to get around the encryption and passcode security of a specific phone belonging to a suspect in the San Bernardino terrorism case. 

Apple CEO Tim Cook, recognizing threats to the company and customers, issued an official and public request for the demand to be dropped. 

Tech giants such as Microsoft and Google, who easily could have been wrapped up in a case like this, are voicing their support for Apple.

Given a deeper look, the reality of this story extends beyond the one suspect and to the world. 

While we all know we release our personal information to our phones and computers, we do so trusting this data remains encrypted and safe. 

Unlike many people from older generations, I don’t think twice when I give my thumbprint to my iPhone or when I log into my bank account. I keep emails with plane tickets and store messages and contacts for people I connect with. 

The function of these devices and their core value to our lives hinges on our ability to seamlessly connect aspects of our lives while maintaining mental peace in our security.

On occasion, the all-knowing features of smartphones, homes and cars make me uneasy. If you can say, “Hey Siri,” and she responds, that means she could have been listening all along. 

Technically, Apple writing code to open back-door access to a variety of features has the potential to affect us all. If ever employed or hacked beyond an individual under investigation, it would be a violation of users’ privacy. 

If code can be written to unlock a phone, it can also be written to turn on the GPS to know the location of my home — something  I’m uncomfortable with other people having secret access to.

Thinking about the greater picture, I much prefer that the code for a third party to access this information never be written. Code written just for the government is still a security breach waiting to happen.

For now it seems like the tech companies are on our side, resisting the court order. Their platform is to maintain our life stories encrypted within their data vaults, for  only us to access.

Rachel can be reached at intrigue@ThePlainsman.com.

Share and discuss “Unlocking one phone could unlock us all” on social media.