Observations from spring practice #9

The Tigers hit the field for the first time after the Saturday scrimmage, and the media was allowed 20 minutes of viewing. Here's what we saw in our time at the practice field.

• Running back Kerryon Johnson had been sidelined for spring practice, but Tuesday he dressed out — still in a non-contact jersey, however — in full gear. Johnson participated in stretches with the team.
  • Coach Gus Malzahn worked with the offensive linemen and quarterbacks in individual periods, and "snapped" footballs to quarterback John Franklin III as the group simulated their dropbacks.
  • As has been the case for most of spring, the quarterbacks were shuffled through the three units in the pace period. Sean White took first-team reps, Franklin handled second-team duties, and Tyler Queen led the third team. Jeremy Johnson had taken reps in earlier practices, and he was preparing to rotate in as the media left.
  • Lineman Darius James sat out the practice for undisclosed reasons. He had been competing for a starting spot at left tackle this spring.
  • The first-team offensive line was LT Austin Golson, LG Alex Kozan, C Xavier Dampeer, RG Braden Smith, and RT Robert Leff
  • The first-team defensive was DEs Carl Lawson and Marlon Davidson, DTs Dontavius Russell and Montravius Adams, LBs Tre' Williams and Deshaun Davis, CBs Carlton Davis and Javaris Davis, Safeties Nick Ruffin and Stephen Roberts, and Nickel corner Tim Irvin

Share and discuss “Observations from spring practice #9” on social media.