"Do you smell blueberry muffins?"

Daniel Church is the blueberry gum guy

Daniel Church started chewing blueberry gum after his throat cancer diagnosis nine years ago. The radiation affected his salivary glands and the gum helps him to feel normal. 

Church is known around campus for sharing his gum while driving a white security shuttle.The tales of the blueberry gum guy have been told a million different ways and most Auburn students have seen his face once or twice. 

Fun fact: Blueberry Gum Guy is not his given name. Church, has been chauffeuring Auburn students for 10 years now and has made quite an impression on those that hop into his van. Church's hire date was April 11, 2006, making his 10 year anniversary fairly recent.

When he first became a driver, he was referred to as "Dan the Man", a name he prefers over the blueberry gum guy. At this time, there were two shuttles, each with an individual direct contact number. Church said that students would call the drivers for pick-ups. The team was Dan the Man, Mark the Shark and the young driver that drove on off nights, Nick at Night. 

There is one story Church tells that stands out far more than any other. 

About five years ago, while making his normal rounds, he passed the pack of blueberry gum around the van after one of the girls mentioned smelling muffins. As one of the girls stepped out of the vehicle, a boy commented, "Hey, dude! Did you smell her? She smelled like blueberry muffins. I gotta get my girl some of that," Church recalled. 

According to Church, another girl spoke up and said, "Can I get some of that gum? Maybe I'll meet the man of my dreams tonight." Church gave her a piece and dropped her off. 

Later that night, the girl hopped back in Church's van and told him she had met the greatest guy and that the gum had worked. 

"He even called me his little blueberry. We're going to see each other again," Church recalled the girl saying. 

A year later, she and that very boy stepped into Church's van. The boy and his "little blueberry" were engaged and living together. 

"That story took off like a rocket," Church said. "All of a sudden, I'm getting people in my bus saying, 'Hey, you got any of that blueberry gum? I'm going out tonight.'"

According to Church, boys love to hop in his bus and ask him if he has any blueberry muffins and if he wouldn't mind sharing some. 

Church said that students have started to connect his gum to other successes, like getting back together with an ex, passing a test, meeting a significant other and getting asked to formals.

What some may not be aware of is that for Church, the gum has served a more vital role. 

"I didn't used to be a gum person, never was a fan of gum," Church said. "But about 9 years ago, I was diagnosed with throat cancer." 

Cancer ran rampant through Church's family, killing his mother, brother and sister, all at the age of 43. Church had one other brother that was also diagnosed with throat cancer right before him and passed away during Church's treatment. 

According to Church, his treatment was primarily radiation. While killing cancer, the radiation also destroyed his taste buds and saliva glands. The doctor recommended chewing gum to help with salivation. After trying many different brands and flavors, Church came across Trident's Wild Blueberry Twist. 

After losing the last of his family to cancer, Church followed his brother-in-law and left his home in Dallas, Texas for Alabama. Church had planned to move back to South Carolina, where he is originally from, until his brother-in-law mentioned a night-shuttle system looking for a startup team. 

"I thought to myself, 'Well, if I don't like the job I can at least start it up and head on my way,' but I fell in love with it," Church said. "I fell in love with Auburn. I fell in love with the students." 

Church lives alone and looks forward to his night-shifts driving through the city of Auburn. He spends a large percent of his time driving intoxicated students home. Intoxication has directly affected Church's life due to the loss of his son to alcohol poisoning. 

Before driving security shuttles, Church was enlisted in The United States Air Force. He fought and left a tour in Vietnam with small shrapnel in his chest. 

"When I look back on it now, it seems like another life," Church said. "It was a long time ago. It was so far away. There has been a lot of water under the bridge since then." 

After his enlistment ended, he moved to New York and worked on computers. After several moves he ended up in Texas working in security.  

He left Texas to assist his youngest brother, who was battling cancer at the time, with his security company in Oklahoma. After his brother's passing he returned to Texas and then Alabama.  

"(Driving security shuttles) is by far, the best job I've ever had," Church said. "I love it and I've loved it from day one. Even after 10 years, I can still tell you how much I love this job." 

Interacting with the students is one of the best things about driving for the university, Church said. Church said that he is constantly reminded of what a small world it is by listening to students converse in his van. Church has watched and listened as long-lost acquaintances have reunited on a 10 minute drive across campus.

Church has received cards, cookies and invitations to weddings and parties. Church has made such an impact on students, that the mention of retirement caused Baret Steed, freshman in pre-elementary education, to yell, "No, Blueberry Man! You can't retire or I will retire from Auburn." 

Church laughed and said he has a couple more years of driving in him before retirement. Having lost his family to various illnesses and injuries, Church said that Auburn is now his family and he plans to stay for a while. 

Share and discuss “"Do you smell blueberry muffins?"” on social media.