For Daniel Carlson, practice — and time — make perfect

A common cliche in the world of sports is "practice makes perfect." It's been uttered so many times that it doesn't necessarily hold much weight as legitimate advice, as true as it might be.

However, in the case of Auburn kicker Daniel Carlson, it's not just a cliche, because his results on the field for the Tigers this year have been nothing short of perfect. He's made 17-of-18 field goal tries this year, with his lone miss being a deflected kick from more than 50 yards out against UL-Monroe.

He technically was solely responsible for Auburn's season-changing win over LSU and tacked on four more field goals — all of which went right down the middle — in a crucial victory at Ole Miss. 

It doesn't get any better for a kicker, and it all starts on the practice field.

“(Consistency has come from) a lot of practice and just a lot of focus in that practice, too," Carlson said. "I think that’s come with maturity too, just over the years."

Carlson's had plenty of time to hone on his kicking craft. The "Colorado Kid" could hardly be called a kid, as he's a fourth-year junior (he took a redshirt during the 2013 season). Between 2013 and now, it's clear what a difference all that time and practice has made.

During his redshirt freshman campaign in 2014, Carlson made 75 percent of his kicks (18-for-24). Last season, he improved to 85 percent (23-for-27). If he continues at his current pace, his percentage jump might be even greater than 10 percent.

The best part for Auburn? Carlson still has another year left to continue developing. He has another year to practice and improve his game. All of this for a kicker who's already widely perceived as perfect. Carlson doesn't believe he's perfect, which is why he continues to strive for that title and be the best kicker he can be week in and week out.

"Not every kick’s perfect in practice, of course," Carlson said. "It’s about really focusing in extra and timing. I may be a little more sore Tuesdays because I work out before. There’s different factors, but Saturday, I hope to have a fresh leg and be at my best."

Even though he's perhaps the best kicker in college football, the stigma against kickers prevents him from being a superstar. He doesn't get to make the big offensive plays (save his touchdown run against Arkansas State) or big hits.

But don't be fooled. Carlson knows how important a good kicker can be, and he's proud that his determination has led to him being one.

"I take pride in it, because it's a skilled role," Carlson said. "Yeah, natural ability helps, but if you don't practice, it's not going to just naturally going to be that great. So it's kind of like a golf swing: You've got to get out there, practice your swing over and over again."

Ignoring the obvious Charles Barkley joke to be made because an Auburn player mentioned a golf swing, it's clear that Carlson has become among the most respected kickers in the nation. He was nominated for the Lou Groza Award last year and is among the favorites to take home the trophy this time around. 

But there's someone else that Carlson enjoys hearing praise from even more than outsiders.

"It's nice to hear praise from different people, especially coaches," Carlson said. "Coach (Gus) Malzahn is praising me for being so consistent over time."

If he keeps his performance so far this season up, the praises won't stop any time soon.

Share and discuss “For Daniel Carlson, practice — and time — make perfect” on social media.