Behind enemy bylines: Oklahoma

Auburn's set to take on Oklahoma in the Sugar Bowl on Jan. 2, and Derek Peterson, sports writer/reporter for the OUDaily, was able to answer some questions about the New Year's Six matchup before the showdown in New Orleans.

Click here to see The Plainsman's conversation with the OUDaily about Auburn.

1) Oklahoma didn't get off to a great start with the loss to Houston and the loss to Ohio State, but the Sooners have reeled off 9 wins in a row since. What's been the key there?

DP: I think part of it is just getting back to basics. After that Ohio State loss, the phrase that was thrown around was “back to the drawing board.” Part of the problem early was I thought Baker Mayfield was trying to do a bit too much, trying to force some things, and then after that Ohio State loss I think he and Lincoln got in sync a little bit more and started just playing their game. Baker’s been great since that TCU game. The other part is Dede. Dede Westbrook was banged up through those first three games and we didn’t really know about it until after that second loss. We saw as the season went on how effective he was over the top but it’s that threat that has opened everything else up for the offense. With the injury he had early on, that threat just wasn’t there.

2) For a lot of people that may not follow the Big 12 all that closely, especially here in the SEC, Dede Westbrook seems like someone that kind of sprouted out of nowhere. Has he always been this good, or did he turn the corner recently?

DP: I think it’s a little of both. Dede’s best attribute is his speed and that’s not really something that can be taught. I mean, he was Big 12 offensive newcomer of the year in 2015 so I think he’s always been talented. He played in the shadow of Sterling Shepard a bit last season, who, as we’re seeing now in New York, is a pretty talented receiver in his own right. I think Dede did use this last offseason to get a little more comfortable in the offense and sharpen some of the technical things in his game and with him being the go-to this year, obviously we’re seeing the results of that.

3) The Sooners haven't scored fewer than 34 points in a game since that loss to Ohio State, and they've dropped 66, 56 and 52 at times. What will Auburn need to do to slow down the Oklahoma offense?

DP: For all of the Sooners’ offensive weapons, there hasn’t really been a second receiver that’s been consistent this season. So, if Auburn can find a way to force the ball away from Dede, if they can keep Oklahoma from getting those huge, momentum-swinging plays and make someone else beat the secondary, I think they’ll be in good shape. Oklahoma just doesn’t really have another guy in that receiving corps that has proven that they can beat a defense.

With Joe Mixon and Samaje Perine, I don’t think the Sooners running game is going to be completely shut down just because those guys are too talented. But I do think OU might struggle trying to run the ball against Auburn. So taking away Dede is going to be huge.

4) Oklahoma hasn't faced a rushing attack like Auburn's, which will have Kamryn Pettway back at full strength. Is the Sooner defense equipped for preventing a team from lining up and running the ball at them every play like the Tigers will?

DP: You would hope so, right? Certainly a team that has had as many problems defending against the pass would be better at stopping the run. And to be fair, when Oklahoma has had defensive success this season, it’s been in their front seven. Obo and Jordan Evans are tremendous in the linebacking corps and Jordan Wade and Neville Gallimore are really coming into their own on the line. I don’t know if they’re equipped to prevent the Tigers from running it down their throat just because, like you said, we haven’t seen them face that type of challenge really at all this season. You have a guy in Pettway with over a thousand yards and another guy in Kerryon Johnson that’s a good game away from a thousand yards, that’s not a duo you can completely shut down. I think Oklahoma is up for that challenge though.

5) What does Auburn need to do to stymie Baker Mayfield and keep him in check?

DP: Keep him in the pocket. Sounds simple but that’s really one of the keys I think. He’s deadly when he’s improvising and he’s on the run and the defense has to pay more attention to him. That’s when you see a guy like Dede bust loose. That’s also the type of stuff that gets him fired up. So, I think if Auburn can contain him a bit they’ll be in better shape.

6) What are the keys for Oklahoma to pull out a win in this Sugar Bowl?

DP:

- Can you handle the Auburn rushing attack? Can Oklahoma be successful in stopping Pettway and Johnson without overcommitting to the run. Sean White didn’t put up huge numbers this year but I don’t think that’s indicative of the talent he has. If Auburn gets going on the ground and Oklahoma has to load up, the play action is there and White is more than capable of beating the Sooners secondary. Oklahoma doesn’t want to be in that situation.

- Keep on keeping on. Offense hasn’t been a problem all year for Oklahoma, if they can have the same type of success they’re used to against Auburn, and Key No. 1 goes their way, I just don’t see Auburn being able to keep up on the scoreboard.

7) Who wins, and what's the score?

DP: I think Oklahoma wins 38-24. I think Auburn can and will score, but I also think Oklahoma is going to be able to put pressure on White to have to win the game on his arm and I just don’t know if he’s going to be able to consistently get it done. On the other side I think Oklahoma has too much offensive firepower between Mixon, Perine, Mayfield and Westbrook.

Share and discuss “Behind enemy bylines: Oklahoma” on social media.