Opelika head coach leaving program, will serve as analyst under Malzahn

Brian Blackmon has resigned as head coach and athletic director of Opelika High School, announced by the school Wednesday afternoon.

Sources are reporting that Blackmon has stepped down to assume an offensive analyst position on Gus Malzahn’s staff. Blackmon has been on Opelika’s staff for the last 21 seasons, serving first as offensive coordinator before his promotion to head coach and athletic director.

Blackmon has been the head man for the Bulldogs for the last eight seasons, compiling a 69-25 overall record. Opelika appeared in the playoffs every year under Blackmon apart from his first, along with a trio of region titles the past three seasons.

The Bulldogs reached the 6A state championship game twice during Blackmon’s tenure, in 2012 and 2016, but were unable to come away with a victory in either game. At the conclusion of the team’s 2012 state runner-up season, Blackmon was dubbed AWSA’s 6A Coach of the Year.

"We are very proud of the tradition of excellent head coaches at Opelika High School," Opelika City School Superintendent Dr. Mark Neighbors said in a press release from the school.

"Over the past 21 years, Coach Blackmon has been a major factor in the success of our football program. His focus on building character among his players has been a priority and has had an extremely positive impact on our program. We wish Coach Blackmon the best in his new position."

Blackmon, a graduate of Troy University, spent his first year of college at the University of North Alabama, where he was roommates with Auburn offensive coordinator Chip Lindsey.

Blackmon’s brand can be found across the country in terms of recruits, most notably with South Carolina quarterback Jake Bentley, who turned in a stellar freshman season with the Gamecocks following his time at Opelika under Blackmon. Auburn claims two recruits from Blackmon’s 2014 senior class, including defensive back Stephen Roberts and the late Jakell Mitchell.

Auburn’s spring practices begin on Tuesday, February 28th. The Tigers’ spring “A-Day” game is set for Saturday, April 8th at Jordan-Hare Stadium. Kickoff time, announced last week, is scheduled for 1 p.m. CST on the SEC Network. 

Share and discuss “Opelika head coach leaving program, will serve as analyst under Malzahn” on social media.