Alumnus competing for James Beard’s Best Chef South

The James Beard Foundation Awards are annual awards that are presented by the James Beard Foundation for excellence in cuisine, culinary writing and culinary education, and two of Auburn’s very own, among 20 semifinalists, are competing in the Best Chef South portion of the competition. 

“I couldn’t believe it, I got goose bumps and couldn’t stop smiling,” Rob McDaniel said. “I have had that feeling for the last five years that my name has been on the list, it is such an honor to be recognized on such a level for the job you do.”

McDaniel, a 2002 alumnus of the Hotel and Restaurant Management program in Auburn’s College of Human Sciences, an executive chef at SpringHouse in Alexander City is one contestant representing Auburn University. 

“I am and always will be honored for that recognition of the hard work the SpringHouse staff puts into the work they do every day,” McDaniel said.

The other contestant being David Bancroft, owner and executive chef at Acre in Auburn and former student of the Harbert College of Business. 

“I am so humbled and proud of our team that worked so very hard for this honor,” Bancroft said. “The James Beard Awards isn’t a competition, but more a fraternity of chefs, mixologist, restaurateurs, etc. that all exude overwhelming passion and respect for each other in the Restaurant/Hospitality industry. We are not necessarily competing, but proud to stand alongside each other.”

On March 15th the list in each region will be cut to 5 nominees, those that make then short list, will travel to Chicago for the James Beard Awards Ceremony.

Share and discuss “Alumnus competing for James Beard’s Best Chef South” on social media.