Silver Wings promotes positive body image

Recently in the bathroom stalls of Auburn University, students have been caught off guard and surprised to close the door and find a motivational quote. This is the Auburn Silver Wings’ doing.

The Silver Wings club is a national, co-ed, professional organization dedicated to creating effective civil leaders through community service and education about national defense. The club works closely with their sister organization Arnold Air Society composed of Air Force cadets and the AFROTC program to achieve awareness about national defense.

“The organizations work to achieve this goal through community service projects, fundraisers, socials and professional development seminars,” Activities Officer Tate Hall said.

Under the role of activities officer, Tate is responsible for providing the monthly service projects and programs corresponding with their Joint National Project (JNP) and Signature National Project (SNP). 

These projects cover fighting hunger and mental health, which lead to the focus on Eating Disorders Awareness Week.

“I was trying to decide what would be an effective project that wasn’t along the traditional lines of having someone come into our chapter meeting and talk about eating disorders,” Hall said. 

This led to the revelation of spreading motivational quotes in an unexpected way, Hall said.

“I thought we could cut out little motivational quotes and tape them up in bathrooms, both men’s and women’s, to give students or faculty a note of encouragement,” Hall said.

The club printed out 30 pages of inspirational mini posters and taped them in the bathrooms across campus, 180 in total. 

The responses that have come back have been positive and those who have replied, said their day was made or brightened.

“We just wanted to do a little something that would hopefully help someone just make it through the day,” Hall said.

Share and discuss “Silver Wings promotes positive body image” on social media.