Taco Mama hosts soft opening party

Taco Mama hosted a soft opening invitational party on Thursday night in order to prepare for their March 27 opening.

Over 100 people attended the event at the restaurant located on 149 East Magnolia Avenue, between the University Donut Company and Little Italy Pizzeria.

Taco Mama will provide Mexican inspired cuisine and numerous margaritas in an atmosphere friendly to both families and Auburn University students, developers have said.

With a seating capacity of approximately 90, the downtown restaurant’s interior is decorated with mocha wall paint highlighted by metal-ridged siding.

Orange and red string lights line the walls and menus of the interior, and the wall décor is comprised of a mixture of Mexican and vintage Auburn University sports prints.

The restaurant’s ceiling leaves the pipes and ventilation exposed, which adds to its “hole-in-the-wall” aesthetic.

The men’s bathroom is painted with a slightly glossy copper paint and is decorated with record covers of Spanish flamenco music and a large Dave Matthew’s Band poster of their concert in Mexico City, MX from March 2015.

The multi-colored, hand-drawn chalkboard menus feature tacos, salads and burritos available for order with a “build your own” mentality. Some of their signature dishes include the “Hippy Fisherman”, the “Yo’ Mama”, the “Judge Burrito” and the “Taco Basket.”

“The great thing about the concept is that it’s one price and all the toppings are included,” said Alan Renfroe, owner of Auburn’s Taco Mama location. “You really create your own experience.”

Taco Mama was founded by owner Will Haver around 20 years ago and currently has five operating locations with three in Birmingham, one in Tuscaloosa and another in Huntsville.

“We do everything fresh. Our food is slow-cooked, our meats are slow-roasted, and we don’t skip on our quality,” Haver said. “We’re very affordable for the quality of food and as much food as you get. It’s a very vibey, fun atmosphere, the food is fantastic, and the margaritas are special.”

Taco Mama was voted “Best meal under $10” by the Best of Birmingham in 2016. For $8, customers will be able to get a taco basket along with a side and as many available toppings as they want.

The restaurant’s menu currently lists ten margarita varieties, with the tenth being a seasonal flavor (this summer’s is the Watermelon margarita), numerous beer and wine brands and Mexican Coca-Cola and Fanta sodas made with real cane sugar.

“The city has been wonderful to us, and we appreciate it, and we’re excited to be here,” Haver said.

Share and discuss “Taco Mama hosts soft opening party” on social media.