Firebrand Democratic congresswomen set to speak in Auburn Friday

The Alabama College Democrats state federation will host U.S. Rep. Terri Sewell, D-Ala., and U.S. Rep. Maxine Waters, D-Cali., Friday, April 21 in Auburn.

Waters’ speech will kickoff the College Democrats’ 2017 Spring Convention. Waters will join incoming Alabama House Minority Leader Rep. Anthony Daniels, Tuskegee Mayor Tony Haygood and Alabama Rep. Elaine Beech.

The "Dems in the House" reception featuring Waters is scheduled to start at 7 p.m. in Foy Hall. Tickets are available on the Alabama College Democrat's state federation webpage .

Waters has represented Southern California in Congress for 26 years and serves as the ranking member of the House Financial Services Committee and is the former chair of the Congressional Black Caucus.

Waters has recently gained notoriety as one of the more outspoken detractors of President Donald Trump. According to The Hill, Waters told a crowd in Washington, D.C., that she planned to “fight every day until he is impeached,” during a Tax March last week.

Sewell has represented Alabama’s 7th Congressional District, which encompasses parts of Birmingham, Montgomery and much of West Alabama, since 2011.

She sits on the House Ways and Means Committee and the House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence, the committee currently investigating Russia’s influence in the 2016 presidential election.

The committee recently took testimony from FBI Director James Comey.

Famed civil rights attorney Fred Gray will speak on Saturday as the convention’s keynote speaker. Former Chief Justice of the Alabama Supreme Court Sue Bell Cobb will also speak on Saturday at the convention’s Women Empowerment Luncheon.

General admission tickets for the kick-off event could be purchased ahead of the event for $35. Students should be able to get in free with their student ID and by registering online.

The event was previously scheduled to be held at Pebble Hill, but organizers began looking into booking a large venue due to high demand. On Tuesday, Alabama College Democrats President Calvin Wilborn said the University had approved the use of Foy Auditorium for the event, which should allow more people to attend the event.

Share and discuss “Firebrand Democratic congresswomen set to speak in Auburn Friday” on social media.