Four Tigers taken in 2017 NFL Draft

Dreams came true for four former Auburn football players during this weekend’s NFL Draft. All of Auburn’s four players drafted were on the defensive side of the ball. This is the first draft since 2013 that the Tigers did not have an offensive player drafted.

Montravius Adams was the first Auburn player to be selected. He was picked by the Green Bay Packers in the third round at pick 93. His senior season was his most productive season on The Plains. He recorded 44 total tackles with 26 being solo tackles. He also had 8.5 tackles for loss with 4.5 sacks. Adams was drafted on the same day that his first born son, Montravius Jr., was born.

“Becoming a father. There’s nothing like family,” Adams said. “My love for the game is extremely high, but it’s second when it comes to family.”

Carl Lawson was picked by the Cincinnati Bengals in the fourth round with the 116th overall pick. Last season, Lawson had 30 tackles and led the Tigers with 13.5 tackles for loss. He also recorded 9 sacks. He was projected by most to be a second or third round pick, but his stock slid due to durability issues during his career at Auburn. The Bengals are searching for a pass rusher opposite Carlos Dunlap, and that is where they plan to use Lawson.

“The DL coach came down to Auburn and worked us out and he tried to kill us,” Lawson said. “I could tell he was going for broke. I tried to wave at him and smile. He didn’t smile back so I knew it would be a serious workout.”

Johnathan “Rudy” Ford was selected in the sixth round by the Arizona Cardinals at pick 208. The Cardinals were high on Ford and even traded up to pick him. Ford converted from a Running Back in high school to playing in the defensive backfield at Auburn. Ford played in 52 games for Auburn and started 34. He played safety at Auburn, but the Cardinals plan to play him at Cornerback.

“I’ve been training as a corner and I’ve been very fortunate and blessed to learn under Patrick Peterson,” Ford said. “I got a chance to meet him before the draft started and got a chance to work out with him.”

Like Lawson, Joshua Holsey had an injury-plagued career at Auburn. He was selected in the seventh round by the Washington Redskins at pick 235 overall. Holsey ended his senior season on a high note. He has 30 tackles with three interceptions and 10 passes deflected. For his career, Holsey played in 44 games and started 44.

“I play ball through the wall every day,” Holsey said. “I try to go as hard as I can. I watch a lot of film and do all the little things that matter at the end.”

Auburn has several other players that signed contracts with teams as undrafted free agents. Defensive tackle Maurice Swain Jr. was picked up by the Detroit Lions, while the Kansas City Chiefs picked up Wide Receiver Tony Stevens. Offensive tackle Robert Leff signed with the Atlanta Falcons, and defensive tackle Devaroe Lawrence signed with the New Orleans Saints. 

Share and discuss “Four Tigers taken in 2017 NFL Draft ” on social media.