Gamma Phi Beta empowers women through 'She Is' event

Gamma Phi Beta utilized concourse hours this week to hear from students about the strong and inspiring women in their lives.

The sorority set up a board on the Haley concourse on Tuesday, April 18 and Wednesday, April 19 where they encouraged passers to write stories, characteristics and names of women they wanted to honor.

Joelle Trollinger, Gamma Phi Beta philanthropy chairwoman, said the "She Is" campaign focuses on celebrating and building powerful women.

"Gamma Phi Beta Sorority's philanthropic mission is to build strong girls and one of the many ways we do that is to promote our 'She Is' campaign," Trollinger said. "The 'She Is' campaign is a way to recognize individual women in our life as role models and also to empower each other to build strong girls together."

Students have gotten creative with what they put on the board, Trollinger said.

"So this week on the concourse we've got a board that says 'She is...' and we're asking people walking by if they would write a word to describe a strong woman in their lives," Trollinger said. "Some people have written character traits and others have written names."

This event is one way Trollinger said Gamma Phi Beta empowers the women of their chapter as well as the one's surrounding them.

"All the Gamma Phi's are wearing shirts that say 'she is strong, kind, authentic, courageous' to remind ourselves and others of who we are," Trollinger said. 

Trollinger said Gamma Phi Beta also supports strong women through "Girls on the Run."

"Girls On The Run is an after school program for elementary school aged girls that promotes fitness and life skills such as confidence, relationship building, gratitude and empowerment," Trollinger said. "So on Wednesday in our chapter room we're having crescent cupcakes which is $5 for unlimited cupcakes and other desserts."

All of the money raised during this chapter room event will go to the local Girls On The Run chapter in Montgomery.

Share and discuss “Gamma Phi Beta empowers women through 'She Is' event” on social media.