Cooking With Anne: How to serve a patriotic plate

<p>Here's a patriotic treat for the sweetest celebrations.</p>

Here's a patriotic treat for the sweetest celebrations.

It's the Fourth of July and you have relatives in town. Everyone is counting on you to prepare a patriotic spread for dinner but you're out of ideas.

You could make a cake and top it with strawberries and blueberries, but that's been done many times before. How can you give them something tasty but also slightly more original? Have no fear, "Cooking With Anne" is here.

When I think of Fourth of July food I think burgers and sweets. A nice, juicy burger on the porch with my family followed by a sweet treat as the fireworks go off overhead. These two star-spangled recipes are sure to please your guests and bring lots of red, white and blue into your night.

Red, white and bleu cheese burger

This burger has everything you need for a patriotic main dish. The bleu cheese adds a unique flavor and texture your guests won't see coming. This recipe serves four, so just double or triple it as needed. 

Ingredients 

For the burger

4 beef patties (or turkey if you want)

4 hamburger buns8 tbsp homemade (or store-bought) ranch

8 slices of tomato 

8 tbsp bleu cheese

For the ranch 

1/4 cup extra light olive oil

1/2 cup full fat unsweetened coconut milk

1/2 tsp sea salt

1/2 tsp black pepper

1/2 tsp onion powder

1/2 tsp garlic powder

Directions

1. Cook burgers on grill until cooked to your liking.

2. While burgers are cooking, mix all of the ranch ingredients in a food processor or nutri-bullet until creamy and thick.

3. Toast hamburger buns and add ranch and tomato to one side of each bun.

4. When burgers are cooked, add to other side of buns and then top with bleu cheese so that the cheese melts.

Liberty Berries

These red, white and blue strawberries are just as delicious as they are pretty. The colors just scream Fourth of July sweets.

Ingredients 

1 pack of strawberries 

1 cup white chocolate chips 

2 tbsp blue icing

Directions

1. Wash berries and dry completely with a towel.

2. Melt white chocolate chips for one minute in increments of 15 seconds, and melt blue icing for 30 seconds. Stir both until smooth. 

3. Dip strawberries in white chocolate — but not all the way, you still want to see some red. Lay on baking sheet. Drizzle melted icing over the berries.

4. Set in fridge for 30 minutes or until the chocolate hardens.

Share and discuss “Cooking With Anne: How to serve a patriotic plate” on social media.