Stidham, White to battle for quarterback spot

The Auburn quarterback situation is more complex than you may think.

At SEC Media Days on Thursday morning, Gus Malzahn made it known that the Tiger quarterback situation is anything but decided. The Auburn head coach told members of the media in Hoover, AL, that highly touted quarterback transfer Jarrett Stidham will have to compete with Sean White.

“If you ask our team they know it’s a legit competition,” Malzahn said. “We can’t control the outside, we can’t control what’s going on around the country.

Stidham found success at Baylor, when he started three games for the Bears in 2015. The Baylor signal-caller finished with 1,265 yards and 12 touchdowns before leaving the program at the end of the season. Stidham shined in the Auburn spring game, as he completed 16-of-20 passes for 267 yards, including several deep shots.

“First of all I just like to say we have quality depth at the quarterback position,” Malzahn said. “I think that’s the big thing. That’s been our achilles heel the last two years.”

White has had trouble staying healthy during his carrer on The Plains. The 211-pound signal caller has battled four injuries over the last two years at Auburn, including a broken forearm on the first drive of last year’s sugar bowl loss to Oklahoma. White saw no action in April's spring game.

“I know our team respects Sean. They respect Jarrett.”

Malzahn announced the quarterback decision on Aug. 25 last season, before three quarterbacks saw action in last year’s opening loss versus Clemson. For now, Auburn fans will have to wait to see who will be in the pocket against Georgia Southern on Sept. 2 in Jordan-Hare Stadium.

"It will be earlier than last year. There’s no doubt," Malzahn said.

Share and discuss “Stidham, White to battle for quarterback spot” on social media.