Auburn begins new downtown valet parking service with a free weekend

After conducting two test runs this summer, Auburn will begin a yearlong “extended test” today to determine whether a downtown valet service will help alleviate parking woes, according to a statement put out by the city.

Valet parking will be offered by the city for free today, Friday, Aug.18, through Sunday, Aug. 20. Starting Monday, the service will be a dollar an hour.

Drivers can leave their car with an attendant at a stand near the southeast entrance of the Gay Street parking deck, who will park their cars on the third level of the deck.

"Parking has been the number one complaint from our Merchants Association because they feel they are losing customers," Jessica Kohn, Auburn downtown coordinator, told The Plainsman earlier this month.

"There are certain people who just do not want to even attempt to come downtown because of parking.

So the city has listened and is responding, and we are all very pleased with the progress they are making,” she said about the valet service.

Regular hours of operation for valet parking, not including University breaks, holidays or home football gamedays, are as follows:

Monday: 5 to 10 p.m.

Tuesday: 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. and 5 to 10 p.m.

Wednesday: 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. and 5 to 10 p.m.

Thursday: 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. and 5 to 10 p.m.

Friday: 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. and 5 to 11 p.m.

Saturday: 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. and 5 to 11 p.m.

Sunday: 9:30 a.m. to 2 p.m.

Share and discuss “Auburn begins new downtown valet parking service with a free weekend” on social media.