ESPN: Former softball player alleges sexual harassment, abuse by coaching staff

A former softball player at Auburn has filed a Title IX sexual discrimination complaint with the University alleging that there was a pattern of sexual harassment and abuse by coaches on Auburn's staff, according to a report published Saturday by ESPN.

In a separate 14-page letter sent by Milwaukee attorney Martin Greenberg representing former walk-on pitcher Alexa Nemeth, Nemeth alleges that former softball head coach Clint Myers knowingly let his son and then-softball associate head coach Corey Myers pursue and have "relations with multiple members of the team."

Clint Meyers cut Nemeth from the team in the spring after the 2017 season.

The news of the complaint comes just days after Clint Myers abruptly retired. According to the report, the complaint was sent a month prior to Clint Myer's retirement.

The letter, sent to school officials and Gov. Kay Ivey's office after Nemeth filed the Title IX complaint, also lists concerns about a potential cover up by administrative staff, according to the report.

“The well-being of Auburn student-athletes was and is our utmost concern," the Auburn Athletics Department said in a statement to The Plainsman.

Auburn Athletics said that every time there is a personnel issue or question, Athletics works with the University's administration to follow guidelines in compliance with NCAA and SEC regulations to investigate and take proper action.

"We followed this same procedure in matters related to the softball program," the statement said. "By both practice and in compliance with federal privacy laws, Auburn doesn’t disclose details of personnel matters.”

Ivey's office said Saturday night that she did receive the complaint.

"Governor Ivey did receive a copy of the letter and immediately forwarded it to the Auburn University General Counsel," Ivey's spokesman Daniel Sparkman said. "Governor Ivey fully supports President Leath and is sure that Auburn University will fully protect all student-athletes."

The letter, ESPN's report said, also alleges that several players went to Clint Myers with proof, in the form of texts from a team member's cell phone, that Corey Myers was having inappropriate relationships with a student athlete.

Corey Myers abruptly resigned in March, citing his desire to spend more time with his family. Just months before, he had been elevated to a new position as associate head coach.

Corey Meyers' resignation came just before a road series at Georgia when the team was reportedly "quarantined" for hours and confronted about the allegations, ESPN's report said.

ESPN also cited interviews with unnamed players who said that during that meeting, Meredith Jenkins, Athletics executive associate director and senior women's administrator, told players they were risking legal action or arrest if they didn't delete text message taken from their teammate's phone.

In its extensive report, ESPN also interviewed several other Auburn softball players about their interactions with Corey Myers.

The Plainsman has not yet been able to independently obtain a copy of the letter or the Title IX complaint.

Allegations have been swirling about the Meyers and the softball program since the spring. The Plainsman filed a public information request with the U.S. Department of Education in April seeking documents related to the case but, at the time, the Department said they had not received any complaints.

Chip Brownlee | Editor-in-chief

Chip Brownlee, senior in journalism and political science, is the editor-in-chief of The Auburn Plainsman.

Share and discuss “ESPN: Former softball player alleges sexual harassment, abuse by coaching staff” on social media.