COLUMN: What to know before the 'Game of Thrones' season finale

With only one episode left in the shortened seventh season of HBO's hit series 'Game of Thrones,' fans are anticipating an all-time high in action, heroics and betrayals in the season finale.

But before we recap the finale next week, lets first take a look at the two episodes leading up to it: episode five, "Eastwatch" and episode six, "Beyond the Wall."

Eastwatch

Finally, the moment we've all been waiting for. Daenerys riding her dragon into battle? No. Arya Stark reuniting with Nymeria? No. The moment I am talking about is, of course, the return of fan favorite Gendry after he was seemingly rowing that little rowboat since season three. 

Gendry, the passionate bastard son of Robert Baratheon reunited with Ser Davos, who was likely hoping to recruit Gentry's blacksmithing skills for Daenerys and Jon.

Ser Davos was accompanied by Tyrion as they snuck into King's Landing in order to try to convince Cersei to lay down her arms and meet with Daenerys.

After coming face to face with Daenerys and her dragons in episode four, Jamie, now back in King's Landing, tries his best to convince the stubborn Cersei that the war against the dragon queen is a losing effort. However, Cersei, stuck in her ways, and hell bent on vengeance deflects Jamie's pleads.

At the end of the episode, a sort of Game of Thrones "Dream team" is formed. In order to try to capture a white walker to convince Cersei of their imminent threat, Jon Snow, The Hound, Gendry, Ser Jorah, Tormund, Berric and Thoros travel north beyond the wall.

Beyond the Wall

In season seven's sixth episode we get to see the aforementioned  "Dream Team" in action, and it did not disappoint. From the hilarious banter between The Hound and Tormund to the excellently filmed and choreographed battles between the Dream Team and a horde of White Walkers, this was an episode you did not want to miss.

South of the wall in Dragonstone, Daenerys and Tyrion argue and bicker over Daenerys losing her temper – killing the Tarly men in episode five – and whether Daenerys has a plan of succession after her death in the future.

However, the vast majority of this episode focuses on the Dream Team, and rightfully so. Trapped and surrounded by an army of white walkers the team fights them off until Deanerys and her dragons can come save them.

And come she does. On the back of Drogon Deanerys swoops in to save the day in record time. However, her heroics do not come without a price. 

The Night King apparently should've considered a career as an NFL quarterback as he is able throw a spear of ice from about a hundred yards away directly into Viserion, one of Deanerys' three dragons, killing him. 

So it turns out dragons aren't completely invincible, who would've thought? The death shocked mother of dragons as well as all viewers at home. Daenerys leaves Jon behind in the fray who is saved by his uncle Benjen in all his undead, flame chain wielding awesomeness.

Surely nothing could be more terrifying than a big fire breathing dragon, right? Wrong. After slaying Viserion, the Night King turns the dragon into a white walker, zombified version of its former self.

So if you think white walkers are the characters biggest problem in the season finale and beyond, you're absolutely right. If the Night King uses his new dragon against the world, humanity sure is in trouble.

Share and discuss “COLUMN: What to know before the 'Game of Thrones' season finale” on social media.