Auburn Global event brings cultures together

During the Auburn Global orientation for international students, students representing cultures from all over the world came together as new Auburn tigers.

On Aug. 18, 2017 Auburn Global wrapped up its week long orientation for new international students at the red barn near Ag Heritage Park. New Auburn Tigers coming from all over the world played games, ate together, made friends and connected with domestic students. During orientation week, students are ushered into the Auburn Family, given tours of campus and introduced to the City of Auburn. 

Deeksha Singh, a freshman in pre-architecture from India, expressed how helpful Auburn Global was with integrating her and her fellow freshman to life in Auburn. "They made it so easy for me to get in here and to meet people and get to know the campus...I already made a lot of friends so I am really happy with all of this."

Charus Cambell, the director of student services for Auburn Global, explained that the end-of-week event "is just to end a long week, give [the students] a time to relax, have fun, get to mingle and meet other students." 

Singh, like many of the incoming students had never been to America before her orientation week. Aalea Ren, Grace Wang and Holly Wu became friends after arriving in America. They, like Singh, had never visited the U.S. before orientation. Wu is from Beijing, Wang is from Shanghai and Ren is from Jiangxi. "Because of this week, I know a lot of things about the school," Ren said. 

Will Shaper, the assistant student services director divulged that there will be many Auburn Global events this year in which domestic students will be welcomed to participate. These events "give domestic students exposure to a different culture they wouldn't be exposed to before," Schaper said. He made the point that meeting Auburn Global students is an alternative exposure to other cultures for domestic students who don't have a chance to study abroad.

Share and discuss “Auburn Global event brings cultures together” on social media.