Auburn University hosts the only Pagan Pride Day in Alabama.

Pagans from across southeast Alabama gathered at the Davis Arboretum on Saturday to honor the annual Pagan Pride Day. Centered around the fall equinox, people from all descents came together to celebrate, mentor and learn.

Hosted by Church of the Spiral Tree, Auburn is home to the only Pagan Pride Day in the entire state of Alabama. This event has taken place in Auburn for several years. Church of the Spiral Tree founder and Pagan Pride Day coordinator Linda Coleman, said the goal was to bring local Pagans together and debunk common misconceptions about Paganism.

“It’s a way to shed light on the reality of what Paganism really is and let the community know we are active,” Coleman said.

From noon until 6 p.m., sessions were held on connecting with nature, emotional and mental healing, yoga and meditation, dowsing and pendulum reading, as well as informal discussions on various topics.  

Founded in 1997, Church of the Spiral Tree is a non-profit, ecumenical Pagan church, located in Auburn. They welcome all traditions, all who respect the Earth Mother. Church of the Spiral Tree is LGBTQ-friendly.

There’s can be confusion when it comes to forming an accurate definition of Paganism. Pagans have a strong respect for the Earth and worship many deities, both gods and goddesses. They emphasize the importance of a healthy individual psyche as it interfaces with a greater power.

Church of the Spiral Tree has cemented their feet to the ground, leading by example and giving Pagans a place of fellowship with others.

Treasurer of Church of the Spiral Tree, Robert VonAllman, said can be hard to find connect groups in the southeast region.

“Cross-pollination, that’s the goal of Pagan Pride Day. To show people who are searching for a teacher or a path, that there’s people with the same interests as you,” VonAllman said.

Paganism does not have one main religious text or set of beliefs to follow. Connecting the dots of their past, Pagans look to empower themselves and obtain an increased role in society.

Share and discuss “Auburn University hosts the only Pagan Pride Day in Alabama.” on social media.