O Town Ice Cream now serving lunch, to expand menu soon

Sandwiches, soups and specials coming soon

O Town Ice Cream will officially roll out a new lunch menu on Thursday, Oct. 19. 

The once-small ice cream operation now has its own location on the railroad strip in downtown Opelika. Beyond that, O Town sells ice cream at many local events including the Waverly Boogie recently and various events on campus. 

O Town has been offering classic lunch options at its central location. These include BLT sandwiches, chicken salad and pimento cheese with bacon and pepper jelly. That is changing. 

On Friday, Sept. 29, Wilton's Catering Pop-Up at O Town Ice Cream launched. Angela George, owner of O Town, described Chris Wilton as "an amazing caterer" and "really famous" around the Auburn-Opelika area. 

"He does things on campus, he does things at the event center in Opelika," George said. "He does wedding catering and chamber breakfasts. So he's very well known. That's why you see a line in here today."

Continue reading below...

The whole store smelled like Wilton's crawfish étouffée, one of the specials offered that day. Also offered were Conecuh cornbread jalapeno corn dogs and muffuletta sandwiches. People of all ages from toddlers to senior citizens gathered for Wilton's food and George's ice cream at lunch time. According to George, Wilton's pop-up will come to O Town a few Fridays per month. The menu will be announced via social media early that week. 

On Thursday, Oct. 19, O Town will officially release a new lunch menu available every day. That menu will include panini sandwiches and daily soups as well as some specialty foods. 

"We might have corn dogs one day or we might have a gumbo or chili," George said. "We also might do tamales. My mother was Mexican, and she taught me to do that, so we might do it seasonally." 

The main goal of the new menu is to excite customers with new foods coming up while offering a steady menu with daily specials regular customers can count on. 

"A good solid menu is a good thing, but people really do look forward to 'What's on the menu today?' They like that." George said. "Oct. 19 we'll have the full menu, but before that we will be having some test runs with specials from the menu."

Share and discuss “O Town Ice Cream now serving lunch, to expand menu soon” on social media.