SGA recognizes alumna Chief Justice Lyn Stuart

Earlier this April, Gov. Kay Ivey appointed Lyn Stuart to serve as Chief Justice of the Alabama State court, replacing Roy Moore and becoming the first Republican female to hold the office.

Monday night, Chief Justice Lyn Stuart was recognized by SGA for achieving that office, thus representing the University and the College of Liberal Arts as a 1977 alumna.

“We wanted to commend her for reaching that high of office and for being the second female to reach that office, especially since she was the first republican female,” said Ken Ward, liberal arts senator. “We also wanted to commend her because we believe she is a great example of how Auburn graduates, especially liberal arts graduates, can reach those offices in public service.”

The rest of this week’s student senate meeting was business as usual, with unanimous passing of clerical changes to the Code of Laws including changing the required GPA to be mascot 2.5 up from 2.25 and removing any mention of cheerleading altogether.

“Cheerleading is not under the jurisdiction of SGA anymore so there’s no need to have the section” said Agriculture Senator Emily Stone.

President Keck also spoke to senate, addressing students’ concerns with getting removed from residential housing after a rash of zoning complaints. Keck assures senators that executives were advocating for students and working with city officials to find a solution.

Keck also discussed how some students sat in the upper deck of Jordan-Hare stadium during the football game against Mississippi State. She said the seats were given to students who were unable to find seating in the student section, and this was only done because the upper deck seats weren’t used by Mississippi State fans. 

Share and discuss “SGA recognizes alumna Chief Justice Lyn Stuart” on social media.