COLUMN: An in depth analysis of the fashion of former Auburn star Cam Newton

Athletes like Cam Newton, Russell Westbrook and Odell Beckham Jr. are constantly either idolized or criticized for their gaudy senses of style. Westbrook and Newton, in particular, are two athletes that dare to push the boundaries of fashionable in order to fit their personal senses of style and in turn, change what it means to be “fashion forward” especially for athletes.

Hate it or love it, there’s no doubt that Newton’s sense of style is certainly unique. Ranging from suave designer suits to flamboyant patterns and colors, Newton’s ability to boldly stray from the dull and uninteresting fashion standards that hinder most athletes is what makes him a fashion icon whether you like it or not.

It’s abundantly clear that Cam Newton is a man who cares about the way he looks, his high fashion outfits are evidence of that. At the same time, the often garish outfits that Newton sports before and after games likely lead to public disapproval.

Many fans believe Newton’s distinct outfits look plain ridiculous, and in some regard, I’m inclined to agree with them. However, who are we to judge how a man likes to dress, that’s his own unique style. Plus, Newton often parades outfits and fashion trends that are simply ahead of their time.

From his floral “male romper” at Coachella 2017 or the pink and green “Joker-esque” suit/hat combo that he sported after a 2016 game, Newton isn’t afraid to go for the outlandish and push the traditional boundaries of what it means to be fashionable.

Additionally, Cam’s sense of style is well respected in the fashion community. Gracing the covers of fashion magazines such as Vogue and GQ, it is clear that fashion experts acknowledge Newton’s experimental and exciting sense of style better than the average fan. Furthermore, after being placed at No. 14 on Sports Illustrated’s 2017 “Fashionable 50” list of most fashionable athletes, its evident that the former Auburn quarterback is at the top of the fashion game.

To be clear, most of Newton’s looks are ones that regular people can’t pull off, and they shouldn’t try. His over the top hats, the collection of unique glasses and colorful Versace suits aren’t for casual men. It takes a special person to pull of the “Cam Newton look” and for those wanting to experience a toned down version of Newton’s style, Newton’s Belk clothing line “MADE Cam Newton” offers a less flashy, more traditional version of Newton’s own style.

Share and discuss “COLUMN: An in depth analysis of the fashion of former Auburn star Cam Newton” on social media.