'I'm just trying to get him the ball': Junior WR Ryan Davis becoming go-to threat after record-breaking Iron Bowl

He was the recipient of over half of Jarrett Stidham’s completions and caught 11 passes for 139 yards

Junior receiver Ryan Davis is having a historic season on The Plains, and it is no coincidence that the biggest game of his career coincided with the biggest game of Auburn’s season. The Tigers beat archrival rival Alabama 26-14 to continue their dream of winning the SEC Championship and reaching the College Football Playoff.

Davis was a huge part of Auburn’s success against the Tide. He was the recipient of over half of Jarrett Stidham’s completions and caught 11 passes for 139 yards. 

This was the third most receiving yards in Iron Bowl history by an Auburn receiver. Not only did Davis come up big against the No. 1 team in the nation, but he also set the Auburn school record for catches in a season with 69. 

Previously, Darvin Adams held the record with 60 receptions.

“You dream about things like tonight. But, I just let the game come to me and let it play out,” Davis said after the Iron Bowl. “Every game is different, and the next game there is no telling how many catches I might have, but having 11 catches is a dream come true.”

Coming into the season, Davis was expected to have a role in the offense, but might not have been seen as Stidham’s number one target. He had less than 200 yards receiving and only one touchdown over his first two seasons at Auburn. 

He has blossomed in his third year though, and has relished the opportunity to be Auburn’s go to guy.

“I love Ryan. He’s a great person and a great football player,” Stidham said. “He seems to get open a lot. I like throwing the ball to open people and he’s just always open. He is a hard worker. I am just trying to get him the ball.”

Davis has been consistent all season for the Tigers as he has at least two catches in every game. He also has grabbed five touchdowns this year. He has recorded over 60 yards receiving in half of Auburn’s games and has over 700 receiving yards on the season.

“I’m just so proud of our team and how far we have come,” Davis said. “We just stayed the course and believed in each other. I feel like everything is starting to pay off now.”

Davis and Auburn have all of their goals left in front of them. The Tigers are arguably the hottest team in the country right now, and they have their sights set on this weekend when Auburn takes on Georgia in Atlanta. 

A win in Atlanta would propel Auburn to the College Football Playoff, which would give Davis a chance to be recognized for his breakout season on the biggest stage in college football.

Share and discuss “'I'm just trying to get him the ball': Junior WR Ryan Davis becoming go-to threat after record-breaking Iron Bowl” on social media.