Jule Collins Smith Museum to honor '125 Years of Auburn Women'

The final art exhibit to be featured at the Jule Collins Smith Museum of Fine Art in 2017 will follow a trend that has been the point of celebration at the University all year.

The 1072 Society Exhibition will showcase works by 11 female artists whose careers span the late nineteenth century through today to honor "125 Years of Auburn Women."

“Procuring and highlighting art by women has been a commitment of our staff for many years,” said Dennis Harper, curator of collections and exhibitions at the museum. "Each work stands on its own, but together the exhibition is quite interesting and beautiful.”

Now entering its 10th year, the 1072 Society is a group of museum members and friends who donate annually for the purpose of acquiring new art for the Jule Collins Smith Museum’s permanent collection.

Also in celebration of the “125 Years of Auburn Women,” the museum has invited the Guerilla Girls for a “one girl gig,” at 6 p.m. on Thursday, Nov. 30.

Since 1985, a group of anonymous feminist women artists from New York City have been publicly calling attention to the inequities of the art world. 

Donning gorilla masks and taking pseudonyms of dead female artists, the group employs so-called guerilla tactics–inundating public spheres with posters, books, stickers and performances exposing the scarcity of women artists and the over-representation of the female body in museums and galleries.

Share and discuss “Jule Collins Smith Museum to honor '125 Years of Auburn Women'” on social media.