Auburn man charged with rape of 13-year-old runaway

Brian D. Askew is being held at the Lee County Jail on two felony charges of first-degree kidnapping and first-degree rape

<p>Police tape on North Gay Street in Auburn, Ala., on Wednesday, Feb. 24, 2016.&nbsp;</p>

Police tape on North Gay Street in Auburn, Ala., on Wednesday, Feb. 24, 2016. 

The Auburn Police Division arrested a 37-year-old man from Auburn Friday on warrants charging him with the kidnapping and rape of a 13-year-old girl, police said Monday.

Brian D. Askew is being held at the Lee County Jail on two felony charges of first-degree kidnapping and first-degree rape.

According to police, Askew's arrest came after a runaway fled the Lee County Youth Development Center in October. The 13-year-old girl left the facility and was picked up by "several unknown males" in a vehicle. They took her to a residence in Auburn, where police said she was held against her will and sexually assaulted.

Askew was identified by police as one of the offenders who assaulted the victim, police said. Police and the U.S. Marshals Service Fugitive Task Force later located him at his residence and took him into custody on the two felony warrants, according to a police release Monday.

The case remains under investigation and no other information was provided. The Lee County Department of Human Resources is assisting APD in investigating the incident, and additional arrests are anticipated, police said.

Askew is being held on a $150,000 bond.

Share and discuss “Auburn man charged with rape of 13-year-old runaway” on social media.