Hinnisdaels, Dikosavljevic close out tennis fall season

Sophomore Maxime Hinnisdaels stretches for a backhand volley.

Auburn Men’s and Women’s tennis fall seasons came to a close over the weekend at the National Intercollegiate Indoor Championship in Flushing Meadows, New York. Maxime Hinnisdaels and Andie Dikosavljevic represented Auburn in the championship, falling Friday and Saturday, respectively.

Hinnisdaels opened singles play Thursday, Nov 12, dropping a 6-4, 6-2 decision to Konrad Zieba of Northwestern. Friday, Hinnisdaels lost in three sets to Benjamin Lock of Florida State 6-2, 6-4, 6-4, to close out his time in New York.

Dikosavljevic dropped her opening round match to No.6 Stephanie Wagner of Miami 6-0, 6-4.

“Andie learned that she could compete with the best players in the nation if she plays her game,” said assistant women’s coach Chris Hooshyar. “Andie played one of the top player in the nation who also has a ton of experience… This match will help her tomorrow against another tough opponent and for the upcoming season.”

The sophomore earned a big win Friday in the consolation bracket, defeating No. 15 Taylor Davidson of Stanford 6-4, 6-4. Dikosavljevic trailed 3-0 in the first set, but battled back to 6-4 and never trailed in the second set.

“Coach [Lauren] Meisner has done a fantastic job of working with out players on their mental toughness this fall,” said Hooshyar. “It really showed today.”

The Australian native went on to face No. 72 Caroline Brinson of Georgia, who sent Dikosavljevic home after defeating her in three sets, 6-3, 4-6, 6-1.

The USTA/ITA National Indoor Intercollegiate Championships marks the climax of the fall season. Hostbed by Columbia University, the event features a 32-player singles draw and a 20-team doubles draw for men and women at the UTSA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center in Flushing Meadows.

Men’s tennis will resume in Jan. 15 to face the Citadel at the Yarbrough Tennis Center. Women’s tennis will take on UAB the following day, Jan. 16, at the tennis center.

Share and discuss “Hinnisdaels, Dikosavljevic close out tennis fall season” on social media.