​Local farmers offer winter haul at January's Monthly Market

Despite the slow business of the offseason, three vendors assembled at the Monthly Market on Tuesday night to sell their locally produced vegetables, breads, granola and other edible goods.

The Monthly Market is a relatively new farmers market, started by Auburn Parks and Recreation in September 2017. It is held at the Harris Center off of Drake Avenue on the fourth Tuesday of each month.

Farmers markets are busiest during the growing season of summer, but farmers can still make an income during the cold months of the year by focusing their sales on winter crops and year-round products.

George Rogers of Pecan Point Farm sells granola, yogurt, beef and eggs, among other things.

“A lot of these products we can sell year round,” Rogers said. “And that’s why we’re at the few winter markets we’re at.”

Continue reading below...

Julia Knappenberger of Artisan Bread Boutique was selling baked goods at her table at the market.

“I can bake seasonal things,” she said, adding that in November and December she offered pumpkin bread and cookies, respectively.

For Beth Hornsby of Hornsby Farms, winter crops include lettuces, carrots, winter squash, broccoli and cauliflower. Hornsby Farms also sells canned goods such as jams, pickles and pepper jellies year round, which Hornsby said definitely helps their winter business.

“We don’t grow as much this time of year as we do like spring and summer, so it really helps us to bridge that gap and make it work in kind of the offseasons,” Hornsby said. “Just having something that’s stable and that people … know they can always come back and get it.”

For these farmers and crafters, fresh and local isn’t restricted to the summer months, but is a year-round business.

Share and discuss “​Local farmers offer winter haul at January's Monthly Market ” on social media.