EDITORIAL | Good government emerges from tragic accident

A bill written by State Sen. Tom Whatley has quickly found traction in the state house.

The Sadie Grace Andrews Act was introduced in response to November 2017’s tragic accident, when 3-year-old Sadie Grace Andrews fell and drowned in an unsecured grease trap behind Bruster’s Ice Cream on East University.

Whatley represents Senate District 27, which includes Auburn. Eighteen other senators, both Democrats and Republicans, have co-sponsored the bill, giving it strong bipartisan support. The Senate Health and Human Services Committee recently gave it their approval, and the Senate passed the bill Tuesday.

In a period of partisan bickering and legislative dysfunction, examples of efficient and effective government can seem hard to come by. The Sadie Grace Andrews Act is evidence that good government still exists.

The bill’s strong bipartisan support shows a common sense of purpose can still exist within governing bodies — a purpose to provide for someone’s constituents rather than be distracted by aggressive pursuit of a niche agenda.

We wish this tragedy never happened. The timeliness of the bill’s introduction can help make sure it never happens again.

Businesses would be required to make sure their traps are secured with locking screws or another locking mechanism at all times and ensure the lids of these grease traps can support human weight, if this bill passes.

We call for this bill to be quickly passed and instituted, to ensure such an event will never happen again.

We commend Whatley for bringing this legislation, as well as those who have joined in support.

We hope this bill continually serves as an example of effectively legislating. A horrific tragedy produced a need for change, and the State House seems to be responding.

Share and discuss “EDITORIAL | Good government emerges from tragic accident” on social media.