Retired marine colonel speaks at inaugural Sustainability Speaker Series

Presenting "A New American Grand Strategy" Retired Colonel Mark 'Puck' Mykleby will kick off the Office of Sustainability's inaugural Sustainability Speaker Series

Mykleby is the co-founder of the Long Haul Capital Group, a group that aims to build America up again through sustainability, creating a healthier world. 

Mykleby graduated from the United States Naval Academy and upon graduation chose to serve through five fleet fighter squadrons as a fighter pilot.  

As part of his continued education, Mykleby graduated from Marine Weapons and Tactics Instructor School, as well as the Navy Fighter Weapons School. Mykleby also participated in the Allied Air Forces Central Europe’s Tactical Leadership Program. 

“Colonel Mark “Puck” Mykleby, USMC (Ret) offers a tremendously important and insightful assessment of where we are as a nation and where we need to go to ensure our prosperity, security and sustainability in the 21st century,” Mike Kensler, director of the Office of Sustainability said. 

Mykleby is speaking on the sustainability lecture due to his experience as co-director of the Strategic Innovation Lab through Case Western Reserve University. He was employed there from September 2014 through February 2018. 

Mykleby worked to establish sustainability as more of a national practice for the country. 

Before Mykleby’s work at The Case Western Reserve University, he was involved with the New America Foundation as a senior fellow. This ended after his retirement from the Marine Corps in 2011. 

“What he has to say is relevant to every major, every discipline, every career path,” Kensler said. “During his visit, we will engage with Colonel Mykleby and his ideas to explore what role Auburn University can and should play in seizing the opportunities he describes and bringing this inspiring future into being.”

Mykleby’s expertise contributed to him co-authoring two papers on the subject of sustainability. In July 2009, he co-authored A National Strategic Narrative while assistant to Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Admiral Mike Mullen with Navy Captain Wayne Porter. 

In addition, Mykleby co-authored, The New Grand Strategy while working at The Case Western Reserve University. 

“He lays out possibilities for the future that are so exciting and full of opportunity while at the same time warning us that perpetuating the status quo would be dangerous to our future,” Kensler said. 

Mykleby will be speaking on Wednesday, Feb. 21 at 4 p.m. in Langdon Hall.

Share and discuss “Retired marine colonel speaks at inaugural Sustainability Speaker Series” on social media.