Jule Collins Smith Museum to host second film of the Southern Circuit Film Tour

The Jule Collins Smith Museum of Fine Art will host the second round of the Southern Circuit Independent Film Tour at 6 p.m. Thursday night.

The film, "Quest," is the second of a three-part series featured by the museum.

Southern Arts describes "Quest" as “a moving portrait of an African-American family in North Philadelphia … it is a vivid illumination of race and class in America, and an inspirational testament to love, healing and hope.”

The Southern Circuit tour of independent filmmakers focuses on giving artists and filmmakers the platform to share their work and bringing communities together to appreciate art. Thus far, more than 300 films have been showcased in 100 communities.

"I make films to make friends, and it has been amazing to meet so many cool new people and to go deeper with partners that have been a part of this journey for a long time," said director Jonathan Olshefski on the film's website. "Attending screenings has been super rewarding as I am able to witness the impact that the Rainey family's story has on audiences."

The museum is one of three locations that is screening the Southern Circuit film this season. The series is organized and sponsored by Southern Arts Inc., a company out of Atlanta.

“Southern Circuit transforms watching film from a solitary experience into a communal one,” its profile said.

They work alongside screening partners and filmmakers to showcase the talents of Southern filmmakers to their audiences. “[Southern Arts] uses film as a conduit for discussions about social and community issues.”

The first film shown in the circuit, "Liyana," was screened in February, and the April film screening will feature "78/52."

The film was written and directed by Olshefski, an associate professor of radio, television and film at Rowan University in New Jersey.

“Olshefski strives to tell intimate and nuanced stories that honor his subjects' complexity by employing a production process that emphasizes collaboration, dialogue and relationship to amplify their voices and reflect their points of view in an artful way," Southern Arts says of the filmmaker.

He has a master's of fine arts in film and media arts from Temple University.

Share and discuss “Jule Collins Smith Museum to host second film of the Southern Circuit Film Tour” on social media.