Auburn bats stay cold in 12-3 humbling at Samford

The Tigers just can’t seem to get anything rolling at the plate.

No. 23 Auburn lost its fourth straight game on Tuesday, falling in Birmingham to the Samford Bulldogs 12-3.

Auburn entered the game after being swept by Arkansas this past weekend and only having won one of its past six games (Alabama A&M).

The Tigers were dominated throughout, allowing eight runs in the first four innings and three during the rest of the game. Auburn pitchers allowed a total of 18 hits compared to the seven hits that Samford gave up.

After a hot start by the Bulldogs, the Tigers were never able to surmount the lead that had been piled onto them.

“It’s less about who you’re playing right now with our club, but about ourselves,” Auburn coach Butch Thompson said. “Credit Samford for swinging the bats.”

Bad pitching early in the contest led to Auburn’s demise, as starter Jack Owen was pulled in the second inning after allowing five hits in the first. After Owen's removal, every Tiger pitcher allowed at least one run.

In addition to 18 total hits allowed, the Tigers gave up four home runs while only hitting one of their own.

Outside of pitching, Auburn couldn’t score with runners in scoring position. The Tigers went 1-for-10 in the category, stranding 12 men on base.

“We left a small village on the bases there,” Thompson said. “We just couldn’t get anything going.”

Auburn had one lone bright spot in the game, as shortstop Will Holland went 3-for-5 with solo home run. Besides Holland, the bats of the Tigers remained cold.

The Tigers are back in action at home against Mississippi State this Friday, as they look to end their four-game losing streak. First pitch is set for 7:30 p.m. CT.

“‘We’re in the middle of a grind right now,” Thompson said, “and this is huge, being back at home and getting an opportunity in another SEC series to try to get something going. This is long enough trying to find ourselves again.”

Share and discuss “Auburn bats stay cold in 12-3 humbling at Samford” on social media.