Avondale supporting local music through live shows

Avondale has hosted live bands since the summer of 2015 when the owner, Hardy Gilbert, booked The Whitey Herzogs, some of Gilbert's old friends who now go by AM Gold, to play in the second story cocktail bar.

In the three years since then, Avondale has become known as the place in Auburn that supports local musicians and features original music.

Despite that reputation, Social Manager Holly Daniel said that Avondale doesn't consider itself to be a music venue.

"We're not really built for it. We don't have a stage and the acoustics are insanely loud," Daniel said. "With that being said, there is a particular genre of music we like, that is lead by Hardy's tastes. So we will let the right people in at the right time."

If this last year's showings have been any indication, the owner's tastes include local indie rock artists either from Auburn itself or from somewhere in Alabama. Recent bands to pass through the bar include Lady Legs, Cherry Motel, Dogwood Lung and Maja Dunes.

"All of the bands that come through originated in Alabama, and we have a love and appreciation for the hard work these original acts put into their craft," Daniel said. "By allowing certain bands to play in our space, we believe we're keeping a certain genre and vibe alive. And just like with any event for most places, hosting shows definitely brings in more people than normally would be there."

Though Daniel didn't go into the specifics of profit margins on the nights bands play, the crowd that these bands generate, including the crowded alleyway by the back door and the throngs gathered at the cocktail bar waiting to get a drink, show just how popular Avondale's efforts of supporting Auburn's music scene are to both the bar and the community.

Upcoming shows at Avondale include the former Whitey Herzogs, now AM Gold, returning to play on Saturday, April 28.

As far as the general future of music at Avondale goes, Daniel said they plan to keep it somewhat exclusive.

"You have to have the right sound and the right vibe," Daniel said. "But we will always maintain a positive relationship with these musicians because we care about the work they're doing."

Share and discuss “Avondale supporting local music through live shows” on social media.