Sexual Assault Awareness Month

You know someone that has been sexually assaulted.

That simple sentence is what has brought the national conversation of sexual assault to the forefront of headlines and has perked up the ears of students at Auburn University. 

The month of April is dedicated to spreading awareness and educating the student body on what sexual assault is, supporting survivors and changing the behaviors of potential perpetrators.

“To me, sexual assault awareness month is bringing awareness to it," said Ph.D. Student Cassandra Grey. "Sexual assault is a topic people do not like to talk about, a taboo topic, and that continues the problems it brings along with it."

While sexual assault awareness month has been observed by Auburn for a few years, today’s current social climate has communities on edge and paying the well-deserved attention and reverence for an issue that affects the lives of so many. 

Often, victims are looked down upon or blamed for what happened to them, making survivors uncomfortable with coming forward and sharing their story and helping build awareness in the first place.

“As soon as we ask if they want to sign our canvas on the concourse after hearing it is sexual assault awareness month, their [the student’s] ears perk up," Grey said. "It is one of those hot button topics that grab people’s attention."

Not only have recent events caught the attention of administrators and faculty here at Auburn but students have also found a new sense of awareness in our student culture.

“I am not a sexual assault survivor, but I have several friends who are survivors of sexual assault and it seems to be an issue where if it does not affect you, people don’t talk about it," said Bri Thomas, a junior in political science. "I really think that this is all of our issue. When one member of the community is hurting, it really affects the community overall."

While sexual assault awareness month is working hard to spread awareness and educate the public, the movement still needs more support from the University. 

While it is not the sole responsibility of one person or one organization but a community working together to combat this issue, Auburn University can still do more to put this issue that affects our home on the forefront.

“I know a week or two weeks ago I know of a sexual assault that happened on campus and as students, we still have not been made aware of that [via AU Alert]," Grey said. "I don’t think it is taken appropriately and I’m sure that person who perpetrated is still on campus and living life like normal."

If you are a victim of sexual assault, know that there are resources available to you and people you can talk to such as those listed below:

• Safe Harbor (334) 844-7233
  • Rape Counseling Services of East Alabama (334) 705-0510 

Share and discuss “Sexual Assault Awareness Month ” on social media.