Undrafted Tigers sign NFL contracts as free agents

While four Auburn players were selected in the 2018 NFL Draft, several others will try to find NFL homes as undrafted free agents

While four Auburn players—Braden Smith, Kerryon Johnson, Carlton Davis, and Daniel Carlson—were selected in the 2018 NFL Draft, several others will try to find NFL homes as undrafted free agents. 

Jeff Holland led the Tigers in sacks and was voted first-team All-SEC, but the Jacksonville, Florida native went undrafted. Most mock drafts had Holland coming off the board in the later rounds. 

Holland starred in the buck position at Auburn, where he played a hybrid defensive end/linebacker role on the edge of the defensive line. But at just 6-foot-2 and 249 pounds, Holland is undersized for a defensive end, and will likely need to fully transition to outside linebacker at the next level.

Tray Matthews was a stalwart in the Auburn secondary for three seasons after transferring from Georgia in 2014, but he will also need to find work as a free agent. 

A starter in 2016 and 2017, Matthews totaled 180 tackles, five interceptions and a trio of forced fumbles in his career. He led the team in tackles in 2016 and received a Senior Bowl invite at the conclusion of last season.

Other undrafted Auburn players include: Wilson Bell, Casey Dunn, Austin Golson, Darius James, Kamryn Pettway, Ike Powell, Stephen Roberts, Nick Ruffin, Jason Smith, and Tre Williams. 

This list of Auburn free agent signings will be updated as they are announced. 

• Safety Tray Matthews signed with the Minnesota Vikings.
  • Offensive lineman Austin Golson signed with the New York Jets, 
  • Linebacker Tre Williams signed with the New York Jets.
  • Linebacker Jeff Holland signed with the Denver Broncos.
  • Offensive lineman Darius James signed with the New York Jets.

Share and discuss “Undrafted Tigers sign NFL contracts as free agents” on social media.