Board of Trustees votes to raise tuition, housing costs to fund housing project

The Auburn University Board of Trustees voted Friday morning for a 2 percent tuition increase and a housing cost increase that ranges from $60 to $120 for the 2019-2020 term.

The 2 percent tuition increase comes after several years with a 3 percent tuition increase, said Senior Vice President for Student Affairs Dr. Bobby Woodard. 

Tuition for the 2019-2020 term for a resident undergraduate student is $409 per credit hour up to 12 credit hours, which is an $8 increase. 

For out-of-state students, the undergraduate tuition rate is $1,227 per credit hour up to 12 credit hours, a $24 increase. 

The undergraduate student fee or both resident and non-resident students will increase $12 to $838. 

For resident graduate students the tuition rate is $546 per credit hour up to 9 credit hours, an increase of $11. For out-of-state graduate students the tuition rate is $1,638 per credit hour for up to 9 credit hours, a $33 increase. 

“We got a little more funding from the state this year," Woodard said. "Doing a 3 percent increase that we've been doing lately, let's take a percentage off. That does make a lot of difference for us because there are a lot of students and $500 extra a semester is a lot of money. So that's why we looked at it and said 'let's reduce that number because we got funding from the state.'"

The increase was met with some concerns from Student Government Association President Dane Block. 

“The matter of the fact is some student out there is negatively impacted by that tuition increase," Block said. "Tuition is the only source of unrestricted revenue for the University and it goes toward University operations and programs. Overall, it's for the betterment of the University.” 

Block commended Auburn University President Dr. Steven Leath and the Board of Trustees for committing to a 2 percent tuition increase. Block also asked Leath and the Board of Trustees to consider more scholarship opportunities to give more students the chance to attend the university. 

“The call to action I wanted to provide was for them [the Board] to focus on creating new opportunities in the form of scholarships,” Block said. "So that those affected by the tuition increases, the negative impact can be diminished. That's something SGA is working on."

The housing increase is for all housing options for the 2019-2020 term. This is the first housing cost increase in 4 years.

Cambridge Rates for 2019

• Single Room $4,440, increase of $90
  • Double Room $3,620, increase of $70

The Hill Rates for 2019

• Single Room $3,830, increase of $80
  • Double Room $3,060, increase of $60

The Quad Rates for 2019

• Single Room $4,4440, increase of $90
  • Double Room $3,620, increase of $70

The Village Rates for 2019

• Single Room $4,900, increase of $100
  • Double Room $4,900, increase of $100
  • Triple Room $4,690, increase of $90
  • Quad Room $4,690, increase of $90

South Donahue Rates for 2019

• Single Room $5,920, increase of $120
  • Double Room $5,810, increase of $110
  • Quad Room $5,810, increase of $110

The housing increase is part of a five-year plan to provide new or renovated housing, Woodard said.

“We have to put into the process so we don't do a big increase at one time so we can gradually get there and start funding that project so it's not on the backs of just one set of students,” Woodard said. 

Woodard is looking to replace or renovate the Hill, which was built in 1962-1967. He and a team of administrators will meet next week to begin developing that five-year plan.

“We are hoping, our plan is to possibly have between 2019 and 2021 to have some new housing on campus,” Woodard said. "So if we start planning later this year into the spring of 2019, we're hoping to have the completion of something by the fall of 2021."

Share and discuss “Board of Trustees votes to raise tuition, housing costs to fund housing project” on social media.