Collision on I-85 leaves two dead

The Ford Fiesta, occupied by four individuals from Duluth, Georgia, swerved off the road after the collision and struck a tree.

<p>Police tape on North Gay Street in Auburn, Ala., on Wednesday, Feb. 24, 2016.&nbsp;</p>

Police tape on North Gay Street in Auburn, Ala., on Wednesday, Feb. 24, 2016. 

A two-car collision on Interstate 85 left two dead and two injured early Monday morning, police report.

At approximately 6 a.m., Auburn police and fire divisions and EMS Paramedics responded to the fatalities near Exit-50. A 2013 Ford Fiesta struck a 2018 Chevrolet pickup truck in the rear, as they were both traveling in the northbound lane.

The Ford Fiesta, which was occupied by four individuals from Duluth, Georgia, swerved off the road after the collision and struck a tree.

Thaddeus Freddie Bowman, the 27-year-old driver, and Terraneka Shavon Harris, the 26-year-old passenger, were pronounced dead at the scene by Lee County Coroner Bill Harris.

Their cause of death was determined to be multiple blunt force impact injuries. Both victims were wearing seat belts, according to Bill Harris' report.

The two passengers in the backseat, both related to Terraneka Harris, were injured.

The 17-year-old in the back seat was ejected from the vehicle. He was taken to East Alabama Medical Center via ambulance. He was then transferred to an Atlanta hospital after it was determined he suffered a cervical fracture.

The 24-year-old in the back seat was taken to Piedmont Medical Center in Columbus, Georgia. After treatment, he was released later in the day.

The driver of the Chevrolet truck was uninjured.

The coroner’s office said the cause of the accident may have been fatigue, but the accident remains under investigation by the Auburn Police Division and the Lee County Coroner’s office. 

Share and discuss “Collision on I-85 leaves two dead” on social media.